Front Page Facebook Discord Channel New to Discord? Click here!
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:35 am 
Elder Dragon

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/16 ... ule-change

Blogatog wrote:
doopboopdoop wrote:
What planeswalker redirection rule change?

Starting soon, we are taking away the Planeswalker redirection rule and will instead tell you on the card specifically whether the card can target planeswalkers. All of the old relevant cards will have “player” changed to “player or planeswalker”.

Blogatog wrote:
theeverlastingdave wrote:
Will cards like Earthquake, Hurricane, and Flame Rift be errata'd to include planeswalkers? Will they play the same as before?

The change is coming. When we roll it out, we’ll put out an article detailing all the changes and talk about how old cards are affected and the philosophy behind how we decided how old cards work.

As I have nothing to do with that and don’t know any specifics, I’m going to stop answering these questions for now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:01 pm 
Elder Dragon

That feels like a lot of burn errata.

"The best and worst part of being a goblin is that you never have to wonder what people think about you. They are more than willing to let you know at every conceivable opportunity." - Skizzdret, The Guildless

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:31 am 
Elder Dragon

This seems real stupid. One of those changes like making instant a supertype that would've been great if implemented at the start of the game, but would be an absolute nightmare now. I mean, how do you possibly get new players to understand that this card printed in 2017 that says "deals 3 damage to target creature or player" does something different than this card printed in 2018 that says "deals 3 damage to target creature or player"?

Also, if you make this change you're left with either making cards like Sulfuric Vortex have super long weird oracle text, or you're saying that this old card that deals damage to a player works completely differently than most other old cards that deal damage to a player, adding to the confusion even more.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:22 am 
Elder Dragon

they're obviously doing it for arena purposes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:10 pm 
Hatchling

As someone who loves planeswalkers and who has smugly denied someone from casting lightning bolt on my ult-ranged planeswalker while I had a leyline of sanctity out, this rules change pisses me off.

I understand why they are doing it, (90% for their stupid hearthstone clone, 10% for new players simplification) but it just seems like it will complicate more things than it will ease. How many cards need to be eratad? It's insane.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:52 pm 
Spamslayer Dragon

I'm curious as to what cards like Eartherquake, Breath of Malfegor, and Ankh of Mishra will look like after this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:51 pm 
Elder Dragon

eartherquake does X damage to everything

don't ask me how

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:56 pm 
Elder Dragon

Byxfluzba wrote:
As someone who loves planeswalkers and who has smugly denied someone from casting lightning bolt on my ult-ranged planeswalker while I had a leyline of sanctity out, this rules change pisses me off.

I understand why they are doing it, (90% for their stupid hearthstone clone, 10% for new players simplification) but it just seems like it will complicate more things than it will ease. How many cards need to be eratad? It's insane.

On the flip side, being a primarily red player who feels like red gets a healthy shaft against PW'rs because of the proclivity of burn spells, I hate you and I don't feel *bad* about this, but still agree it's confusing.

On the other side of things, the fucking redirection rule shouldn't have been a thing to begin with because its weird and obtuse, but I don't pretend to know the reasoning behind a bunch of things within the ugly CRB.

"The best and worst part of being a goblin is that you never have to wonder what people think about you. They are more than willing to let you know at every conceivable opportunity." - Skizzdret, The Guildless