Front Page Facebook Discord Channel New to Discord? Click here!
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:24 am 
Ancient Dragon

This is the ruling from the Iconic Masters entry for Magus of the Moon - thus also being how Blood Moon now works. Source: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2017-09-11

Iconic Masters Release Notes wrote:
Magus of the Moon
2R
Creature — Human Wizard
2/2
Nonbasic lands are Mountains.

Nonbasic lands lose any other land types and abilities they had. They gain the land type Mountain and gain the ability "T: Add R to your mana pool."
Magus of the Moon's effect doesn't affect names or supertypes. It won't turn any land into a basic land or remove the legendary supertype from a legendary land, and the lands won't be named Mountain.
If a nonbasic land has an ability that applies "as [this land] enters the battlefield" or that causes it to enter the battlefield tapped or with counters, the land will lose that ability before it applies. This is a change from previous rules.
If a nonbasic land has an ability that triggers "when" it enters the battlefield, it will lose that ability before it triggers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 am 
Elder Dragon

So, play Magus of the Moon, play Dark depths, bolt Magus.... win?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:36 pm 
Grand Architect

WHY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:04 am 
Ancient Dragon

i assume this also changes how something like humility works

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:39 am 
Grand Architect

Yes, it's presumably a change to the whole layers system which makes life so much more complicated than it needs to be

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:32 pm 
Adult Dragon

I believe it is a simple wording change on 614.12 that drops the last clause, allowing replacement effects for objects changing zone to see all continuous effects in the new zone. Probably a deletion or alteration of the italicized text here:
Quote:
614.12. Some replacement effects modify how a permanent enters the battlefield. (See rules 614.1c-d.) Such effects may come from the permanent itself if they affect only that permanent (as opposed to a general subset of permanents that includes it). They may also come from other sources. To determine which replacement effects apply and how they apply, check the characteristics of the permanent as it would exist on the battlefield, taking into account replacement effects that have already modified how it enters the battlefield (see rule 616.1), continuous effects generated by the resolution of spells or abilities that changed the permanent's characteristics on the stack (see rule 400.7a), and continuous effects from the permanent's own static abilities, but ignoring continuous effects from any other source that would affect it.