Front Page Facebook Discord Channel New to Discord? Click here!
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I'm Bad at Drafting
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:29 am 
Elder Dragon

I love sealed limited because I feel like I'm very used to being behind the 8-Ball in most constructed events, and I like to think Iknow how to make the best out of what I'm offered (or usually, can afford). The few times I've drafted though have gone...

Poorly, to say the least.

I feel like I tie myself into something fairly quickly, and then get frustrated when I can't make any more good descicions.

What advice would you guys give to someone new to drafting to help them out?

"The best and worst part of being a goblin is that you never have to wonder what people think about you. They are more than willing to let you know at every conceivable opportunity." - Skizzdret, The Guildless

Post subject: Re: I'm Bad at Drafting
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:22 am 
Adult Dragon

I think the Limited Resources podcast has a lot of good advice on this.

As a general piece of advice, I would say don't beat yourself up about drafting. There's a lot to just knowing the format and knowing what to interpret as signals that particular colors or archetypes are open. And sometimes, you can draft 90% correctly and still end up with a bad pool because of what gets opened, how other people draft (either well or poorly), or just where you happen to be sitting.

Post subject: Re: I'm Bad at Drafting
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:31 am 
Spamslayer Dragon

Until you get a feel for a particular format, my advice is just to try stuff. Start by picking the most powerful cards out of the first few packs, then move into whatever colours happen to be open. Remember, it's better to sacrifice a few early picks than to stubbornly stick to something that just isn't open enough to work. Try that a couple of times until you have a basic understanding of how the format works - the average size of the common creatures, what sort of combat tricks are floating around, that sort of thing. Also, remember not to fall into the trap of "If it's good enough for constructed, it's good enough to draft" (Fatal Push? Not actually all that hot in limited).