Front Page Facebook Discord Channel New to Discord? Click here!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Eternal Masters Draft
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:22 pm 
Young Dragon

So my LGS held what will likely be it's only eternal masters draft on Saturday... And I made the finals (we split the prize). It was so fun to draft, and I'm glad that the I was able to do so well for a rather unique experience in my area.

I'll post my decklist and general draft experience tomorrow. But I was just wondering if anybody else had any fun and unique experiences with the format!

Feel free to post your stories.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:46 pm 
Ancient Dragon

I bought a box, went home, and didn't open it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:50 pm 
Elder Dragon

Good story bro....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:26 pm 
Young Dragon

So my deck only dropped one match all night (and it happened to be the person I split the finals with). Mine was a UW control-ish deck. Here's the list:

1 Nevinyrral's disc
1 Karmic Guide
1 Call the Skybreaker
1 Sphinx of the Steel wind
3 pacifism
2 deep thought
2 tidal wave
1 Welkin Guide
1 phyrexian rager
1 serra angel
1 eyeblight's ending
1 second thoughts
1 giant tortoise
1 aven riftwatcher
1 man-o'-war
1 coalition honor guard
1 sprite noble
1 pilgrim's eye
1 peregrine drake
1 tranquil cove
1 dismal backwater
1 scoured barrens
2 swamps
6 plains
6 islands

I really was worried I didn't have enough threats, and probably drafted a couple too many mediocre creatures in pack 3. But I had enough board control to offset that. And Call the Skybreaker won me about 70% of all my games.

The only deck I lost to was GW Enchantress. He drafted 3 mesa enchantress, 3 yavimaya enchantress, 2 ancestral mask, and a ton of other great support.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:55 am 
Ancient Dragon

Drafted jund good stuff with a focus around elves and goblins, went 2-1, lost the "final" of my pod to a very good deck

Prinny Bringer of the Spampocalypse
[+] Click to Show Spoiler

Two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:54 am 
Young Dragon

So i've done 4 drafts of this set and learned a few things between playing and watching those and other games.

My rankings:
G/R > U/R > W/R > G/W > W/B > W/U > U/B > B/G > G/U > B/R

I rank G/R at the top because its big pay offs are things you can get super late. To anyone else; Kird Ape and Flinthoof Boar are basically unplayable but are nutty to you. Couple that with having one of the best guild uncommons in the set in the form of Bloodbraid Elf and it being largely underdrafted (more people wanna be the U/R spells deck in this format than most anything else) make it very good.

I think the best U/R deck is better than anything else you can be doing. All the flashback spells are just great w/o considering Burning Vengeance which doesnt take many activations to pay for itself. The issues here are if you dont get the veng or Young Pyromancer early enough; it's hard to get into. Plus everyone wants to be in this deck so it's harder to get a good version.

I rank W/R third as it is very agressive and has the best removal in the format (considering many of the most important creatures are small; the burn spells are better than cards like Nekrataal against many decks and when you need to kill something bigger; white plenty gets the job done). Also, much like the spells deck; it doesnt take much for intangible virtue to be crazy good. That said; i dont think this deck out controls the spells deck and it certainly doesnt out aggro the G/R deck for the most part and it does suffer from needing the right mix of token makers and ways of pumping them that the G/R deck doesnt really suffer from.

G/W proved to be better than expected though it is worth saying; the removal/bounce in this format is real. I think Elephant Guide is replacement level but the rest are either resilient to removal, are removal, or are so good that it's worth the risk. This deck also, more than many others, really benefit from its guild rare Glare of the Subdual making your reasonable aggressive deck play a decent control game.

W/B and W/U suffer from similar problems in that they have some of the best pay offs for Glimmerpoint Stag (and Brago is very powerful) but when you dont get your flicker effects; your cards lose a lot of power (where as the U/R spells deck who lacks its Burning Vengeance still has very powerful cards.

U/B's issue is that the theme it seems to be going for, reanimator, seems only partially supported. It has some decentish reanimator targets but it only has uncommon reanimation spells and, worse, not really enough good ways to get your dudes in the yard, Despite this; i have this here due to the fact that i have a hard time believing a pile of Hymn to Torachs and Counterspells are bad (though this is, admittedly, more of a synergy format than a good stuff format).

B/G suffers from one big issue: It's very fair. Its synergys are largely supported, you can do powerful things but those things are fair and are largely worse than the unfair things some of the other decks do.

G/U and to a greater extent B/R are like U/B except that they dont exactly benefit from playing a 'Goodstuff Control' deck like U/B can. G/U is above B/R because i think G/U is far more supported than B/R and threshold cards that pay you off when you do manage to turn on threshold (without filling your deck with largely otherwise blank cards) do tend to come around late as they're cards only you want.

Tomorrow I'll share my favorite deck that i managed to draft; it's bed time for now. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:01 pm 
Elder Dragon

Not a draft story but a story about Eternal Masters. I got 2 boxes of SOI from GP Columbus that one of my LGS Owners allowed me to trade into a box of EMA. I grabbed the box yesterday and opened it.

Mana Crypt
Wasteland
Sylvan Library
Dack Fayden
Worldgorger Dragon
Karakas
Entomb
Foil GSZ
Siege-Gang
Wrath
Xathrid Swarm
Foil Animate Dead
Foil Brainstorm
Foil Armadillo Cloak
Foil Faiths Fetters
And some good notable regular Uncommon/ Commons

Not too bad, IMO.

This weekend, we're getting another box - but we're gonna do a phantom draft a week from today!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:54 am 
Hatchling

Good for you, bro. I couldn't find a store that held a draft, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:40 pm 
Young Dragon

fessus viator wrote:
Not a draft story but a story about Eternal Masters. I got 2 boxes of SOI from GP Columbus that one of my LGS Owners allowed me to trade into a box of EMA. I grabbed the box yesterday and opened it.

Mana Crypt
Wasteland
Sylvan Library
Dack Fayden
Worldgorger Dragon
Karakas
Entomb
Foil GSZ
Siege-Gang
Wrath
Xathrid Swarm
Foil Animate Dead
Foil Brainstorm
Foil Armadillo Cloak
Foil Faiths Fetters
And some good notable regular Uncommon/ Commons

Not too bad, IMO.

This weekend, we're getting another box - but we're gonna do a phantom draft a week from today!

I'm glad to hear you did manage to be able to do this. Foil brainstorm on top of an already sick box is sweet, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:00 pm 
Elder Dragon

IKR! The guy we ate with owns a store and let me cash them in.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:11 pm 
Young Dragon

He did seem like a real chill dude. Plus its not like the SoI boxes have no use for him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:37 pm 
Elder Dragon

Very good dude.