Front Page Facebook Discord Channel New to Discord? Click here!
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:35 pm 
Hatchling

Hello, guys... long time no see. I sometimes stop by to check what's going on, but haven't commented or posted in a while. I now post this because I honestly think some of you are going to have fun with this design challenge and debate.

I have a 405 card Pauper Cube (now 360 - see edit). Nowadays, most of what I do with it is Sealed with my brothers and neighbour, mainly because I am much more into Magic than them and with Grid Draft there are more decision points, I think, which makes it harder for them. But still, with Sealed, they often make a deck much farther from optimal than me, which then again gives me the upper hand, also because I know my Cube better.

Another thing is that my neighbour is less comfortable with gameplay and interactions than my brothers and me.

So what do I want? I want to build something like a VS. Series (1 vs. 1) decks with my Cube for now, but with layers of difficulty, like 1 vs. 1 Easy and 1 vs. 1 Hard. The goal is to build pairs of decks of similar power level, that I can use to not only get them more familiar with the Cube, but also with increasingly complex interactions.

For example, maybe the entry level decks could just have the goal of teaching types, zones and phases, focus on attack and block and ease on countermagic and instants, so that the stack isn't too much of a problem. Mechanics a little more complicated could also be avoided. The medium level decks could add a little more interactions and so on.

I was going to do this alone, but I really thought some of you would enjoy it.

This is the link to my Cube: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/103154

The archetypes I try to support are:
WRG Tokens
UBG Graveyard
WU Flicker
WB Life
U(R) Spells
(B)R Rush

Expecting your answers, folks :)

EDIT: this exercise ended up overlapping with me trimming down the Cube to 360 cards, in order for it to fit (along with lands and tokens) in 2 Fat Pack boxes, so the Cube is now 360 cards.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Decks

Life is a Game Lv1
[+] Click to Show Spoiler
Plagued Rusalka

Dusk Legion Zealot
[card]Ghoulcaller's Accomplice[/card]
Basilica Screecher
Runed Servitor

[card]Liliana's Specter[/card]
Wasteland Scorpion
Phyrexian Rager
Skymarch Bloodletter

Gravedigger
Soulstinger
Bloodhunter Bat
Desecrator Hag

Gray Merchant of Asphodel
Windgrace Acolyte

Sylvok Lifestaff

Disfigure
Terror
Moment of Craving
Read the Bones
Cower in Fear
Crippling Fatigue
Death Denied

Ash Barrens
Swamp x16

Might of the Masses Lv1
Chatter of the Squirrel
Young Wolf
Flayer Husk

Saproling Migration
Thornweald Archer
Burning-Tree Emissary
Terrain Elemental

Borderland Ranger
Slaughterhorn
Yavimaya Sapherd
Jungleborn Pioneer
Scion Summoner
Scion of the Wild

Saddleback Lagac
Acorn Harvest
Ambassador Oak

Scatter the Seeds

Siege Wurm

Vulshok Morningstar
Sky Skiff

Pounce
Symbiosis
Sylvan Might
Ambuscade

Forest x16

Last edited by Johny_Cid on Mon May 07, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 11 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:30 pm 
Elder Dragon

the low-level decks should probably also be monocolored, then you can introduce the advantages and disadvantages of the two-color decks in the intermediate level decks

if you want to focus mostly on combat for the low-level decks, you probably want to avoid hexproof creatures/too good of removal and lean more toward combat tricks, which could be an issue with the limitation of the cards in your cube (i am thinking of black in particular, because something like moment of craving would be a better fit than doom blade for the low-level deck)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:47 pm 
Hatchling

Well, 1, 2 and 3 colors for easy, medium and hard may be a nice starting point.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:43 pm 
Hatchling

Masters sets are always exciting for this cube. I almost spit my coffee out knowing that Hordeling Outburst is now a common and thus available. I'll probably post my attempt at the first 2 lists by the end of next week.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:37 pm 
Grand Architect

Í'm not sure about achtypes, but there are certain things in magic that confuse players if they're taught them incorrectly that you might be able to root out with the cube.

Protection Effects
State Based Actions
Activated v Triggered Abilities v Mana Abilities
Replacement Effects
Why Kitesail Freebooter dying before you look at their hand doesnt work the same way as Tidehollow Sculler

I dont know how many of these sorts of things you could fit into the cube, but they're suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:44 pm 
Elder Dragon

most of that is advanced-level stuff, keep in mind that the starting decks are supposed to be really simple and focus primarily on combat

(also if it helps i recommend 40 card decks similar to limited decks rather than 60)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:58 pm 
Hatchling

Yes, they will be 40 card decks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:03 pm 
Hatchling

Life is a Game
Dusk Legion Zealot
Sinuous Vermin
Basilica Screecher

Sickleslicer
Dead Reveler
Phyrexian Rager
Skymarch Bloodletter

Vulturous Aven
Falkenrath Noble
Bloodhunter Bat

Pith Driller

Twisted Abomination

Disfigure
Terror
Last Gasp
Cartouche of Ambition
Cower in Fear
Crippling Fatigue
Death Denied
Unmake the Graves

Swamp x17

Might of the Masses
Chatter of the Squirrel

Drudge Beetle
Thornweald Archer
Safehold Elite
Sky Skiff
Sakura-Tribe Elder

Borderland Ranger
Guardian Shield-Bearer
Call the Scions
Jungleborn Pioneer
Scion Summoner
Scion of the Wild

Emperor Crocodile
Acorn Harvest
Eyeless Watcher

Scatter the Seeds
Bitterbow Sharpshooters

It of the Horrid Swarm

Slaughterhorn
Vines of Vastwood
Pounce
Leeching Bite
Sylvan Might
Ambuscade

Forest x16

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:53 pm 
Elder Dragon

Johny_Cid wrote:

you are putting way too many mechanics together for this to really work, this would be absolutely overwhelming for a new player

(i think inevitably you're going to end up buying some commons to make these decks feasible)

Quote:

i see the same issues here, the theme itself is solid but combining all these mechanics can be overwhelming

i would definitely try to reduce the prevalence of block mechanics wherever possible (stuff like kicker and convoke are fine, flashback, emerge, and monstrosity not so much)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:43 pm 
Hatchling

I agree on monstrosity. The whole "become monstrous" thing is confusing. Same goes for renown, I suppose. I'm not sure on emerge. It seems simple enough, especially as the card in point has the explanation of the mechanic written on it. Suddenly, kicker also seems very confusing. Will work on it.

As for flashback, I thought it did some work in separating the graveyard from the exile zone.

I don't want to buy cards for this, really. That would take out the fun for me :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:23 pm 
Elder Dragon

kicker itself is very simple, it's just that there are so many kicker variants that make it seem complicated (so you start with kicker and then introduce the kicker variants later in the intermediate-level decks)

flashback requires keeping track of stuff in the graveyard which is much more complicated than you think it is

i suggest if you do end up buying more cards you use it as a supplement to the cube to be able to rotate cards in and out (or see if people will give away bulk commons, after all they're bulk and some of those cards would work well in the introductory-level decks even if they really aren't cube material)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:06 pm 
Hatchling

Life is a Game 2.0
Dusk Legion Zealot
Runed Servitor
Basilica Screecher

Dead Reveler
Phyrexian Rager
Skymarch Bloodletter

Gravedigger
Falkenrath Noble
Bloodhunter Bat

Pith Driller
Silumgar Butcher

Sylvok Lifestaff

Disfigure
Terror
Last Gasp
Read the Bones
Cower in Fear
Crippling Fatigue
Unmake the Graves
Death Denied

Ash Barrens
Swamp x16

Might of the Masses 2.0
Chatter of the Squirrel

Drudge Beetle
Thornweald Archer
Safehold Elite
Terrain Elemental

Borderland Ranger
Slaughterhorn
Call the Scions
Jungleborn Pioneer
Scion Summoner
Scion of the Wild

Emperor Crocodile
Acorn Harvest
Peema Outrider

Scatter the Seeds
Bitterbow Sharpshooters

Siege Wurm (currently not in the Cube, but will probably get in)

Bonesplitter
Sky Skiff

[card]Ranger's Guile[/card]
Pounce
Leeching Bite
Sylvan Might
Ambuscade

Forest x16

I cut Emerge and Monstrosity. Also ended up cutting Kicker (to limit decision points, which is why I also cut Cycling aside from Ash Barrens) and Living Weapon. I did think about cutting Flashback, but instead I tried to add a bit more graveyard interaction, so that they hopefully look to the graveyard as a dynamic zone. Also tried to include artifacts in the different forms.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:07 pm 
Elder Dragon

i would probably entertain replacing pith driller because the devotion interaction is not immediately obvious

i'm amazed that the green deck doesn't have something like thrive to supplement the token theme, i would probably replace ranger's guile with it (instant-speed hexproof doesn't seem like it's low complexity)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:20 pm 
Hatchling

That's a good point with Pith Driller. Also noted that the wording in Exploit can give the idea that it can be done multiple times. Not sure what I will do about that.

I have been struggling with the payoffs for green to go wide in the Cube. I like Thrive and the Support mechanic and I do think Ranger's Guile is not doing much in the deck, though. Will work on it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:21 pm 
Elder Dragon

too bad fleshbag marauder isn't common

there really isn't anything comparable to silumgar butcher at common, and the best replacement i can come up with is fume spitter

convoke is secretly a payoff for green going wide (probably because green is really more of the go-tall color in limited, so your choices are really limited)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:30 am 
Hatchling

Life is a Game 3.0
Plagued Rusalka

Dusk Legion Zealot
Basilica Screecher
Runed Servitor

Dead Reveler
Phyrexian Rager
Skymarch Bloodletter

Gravedigger
Soulstinger
Bloodhunter Bat
Desecrator Hag

Warren Pilferers

Sylvok Lifestaff

Disfigure
Terror
Last Gasp
Read the Bones
Cower in Fear
Crippling Fatigue
Death Denied

Ash Barrens
Swamp x16

Might of the Masses 3.0
Chatter of the Squirrel
Young Wolf
Flayer Husk

Drudge Beetle
Thornweald Archer
Burning-Tree Emissary
Terrain Elemental

Borderland Ranger
Slaughterhorn
Call the Scions
Jungleborn Pioneer
Scion Summoner
Scion of the Wild

Saddleback Lagac
Acorn Harvest
Ambassador Oak

Scatter the Seeds

Siege Wurm

Vulshok Morningstar
Sky Skiff

Pounce
Symbiosis
Sylvan Might
Ambuscade

Forest x16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:40 am 
Hatchling

The trimming down to 360 cards got me to rethink a few things about the Cube design and a ~30-card update that includes all the cards listed above that were not there before is coming soon.

In the meantime, I attended Exploit and Phyrexian mana issues. Also cut Fabricate for something more simple (Peema Outrider -> Ambassador Oak). Since I introduced Undying, I cut Persist, to avoid confusion, and went back to Living Weapon, because I actually got feedback from the targets of the decks stating that they find Living Weapon simple enough.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:41 am 
Elder Dragon

i was thinking of this thread when i saw some of the dominaria common spoilers, they made me wish you had kept kicker in

the choice of a hybrid card is interesting in life is a game, that might lead to confusion but it might also have the intended effect of curiosity toward the two-color decks

Johny_Cid wrote:
The trimming down to 360 cards got me to rethink a few things about the Cube design and a ~30-card update that includes all the cards listed above that were not there before is coming soon.

In the meantime, I attended Exploit and Phyrexian mana issues. Also cut Fabricate for something more simple (Peema Outrider -> Ambassador Oak). Since I introduced Undying, I cut Persist, to avoid confusion, and went back to Living Weapon, because I actually got feedback from the targets of the decks stating that they find Living Weapon simple enough.

this feedback is great

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:53 am 
Hatchling

Golgari_Spy wrote:
i was thinking of this thread when i saw some of the dominaria common spoilers, they made me wish you had kept kicker in

the choice of a hybrid card is interesting in life is a game, that might lead to confusion but it might also have the intended effect of curiosity toward the two-color decks
Yeah. Saproling Migration is almost definitely getting into the Cube.

About the hybrids, I was actually running out of 4-drops that I didn't find confusing in Black.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:00 pm 
Elder Dragon

still think you should add moment of craving in the cube (or at least the black deck)