Front Page Facebook Discord Channel New to Discord? Click here!
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Gauntlet
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:42 pm 
Young Dragon

So here's how this thing works.

1. A theme will be created by the previous round's winner.
2. You'll design a card around that theme.
3. After 3 days, everyone who made a card judges all the others and gives a score out of 5.
4. After 5 days have passed, the scores will be tallied.
5. The winner comes up with a new theme.

Pretty simple. A few rules:
1. When giving a theme, don't make it too specific. "A legendary Dragon" is fine - "A red legendary Dragon Wizard" is pushing it - "A red and green legendary 6/6 Dragon Wizard with CMC 8" is way out.
2. When scoring, keep it out of 5, and only use whole numbers and halves to make it easier to tally.
3. If you create a card but don't judge, your card won't count for that round.
4. To keep things fair for all, please don't judge strategically.
5. Anyone can design a card in an round - no need for signups, and if you missed a previous round, you can still jump into the current round. However, only those who designed a card can judge for that round.
6. Please, don't start judging/rating until the round is officially closed. As a sidenote, don't offer any critique/advice on any existing cards until the round is closed.
7. You can edit your card as much as you like before the end of the round, or even create an entirely different one - but once the round is closed, that's it, no more changes. If you want to edit your card, please edit your original post rather than make a different post.
8. If someone creates a card you think is off-theme, alert the theme creator. The theme creator can then alert the person (preferably in the discussion thread). If this isn't done by the time the round is closed, it's assumed the card is on-theme.
9. Post only card submissions and judging in this thread. There is a separate thread for discussion. Any non-submission/judging posts in this thread will be deleted.

Additional Note:
When judging, if you give feedback on all entries along with your scores, you will be awarded a 1 point bonus for the purposes of deciding who creates the next round's theme. A single sentence is sufficient.
(credit for these rules goes to Arix)

Speaking of Arix, I think it's only fitting that the once and future Grandmaster of the Gauntlet, and the person who started this whole thing, should be the one to create the first round of The Tavern of Souls Gauntlet. So whenever you are ready, create the first round! I will close the creation round 5 days after Arix posts the topic.

Post subject: Re: The Gauntlet
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:45 pm 
Ancient Dragon

My turn.

A great and powerful wizard.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:55 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Wait, am I missing the theme or have you guys not given one yet?

Prinny Bringer of the Spampocalypse
[+] Click to Show Spoiler

Two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:14 pm 
Young Dragon

Not gonna lie, I didn't know who won the last round on GM. So I defaulted to Arix creating the first theme. I'll be creating a discussion thread in a minute.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:23 pm 
Spamslayer Dragon

Kairyu815 wrote:
Speaking of Arix, I think it's only fitting that the once and future Grandmaster of the Gauntlet, and the person who started this whole thing, should be the one to create the first round of The Tavern of Souls Gauntlet. So whenever you are ready, create the first round! I will close the creation round 5 days after Arix posts the topic.

Woo!

Let's start with something simple: A tribal-themed card for a creature type that doesn't have much tribal support.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:36 pm 
Urzatron

Kruger, the Dream Corruptor 1BB
Creature- Human Minion

Menace

Whenever the ability of a Nightmare creature would ask you to choose a target, choose 2 targets instead.

Nightmares have Menace.

2/3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:09 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Karlesk Forge-Tenders
--Creature: Imp
RB
2/2
Flying
Whenever an Imp enters the battelfield under your control, ~ deals 3 damage to target creature or player and you lose 2 life.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:53 pm 
Spamslayer Dragon

Wildmane Paladin 3GW
Creature - Centaur Knight
Vigilance
Whenever another Knight creature enters the battlefield under your control, you gain 2 life.
W, T: Put a 2/2 white Knight creature token onto the battlefield.
G, T: Regenerate target Knight.
4/2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:22 am 
Adult Dragon

Black Widow Matriarch 3BG
Creature - Spider (rare)
Deathtouch, Reach
Other Spiders you control gain deathtouch.
Whenever a non-token creature dies put 1/1 black and green spider token into play under your control.
2/6

Last edited by IronHead on Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:29 am 
Ancient Dragon

Possessed Ruminant 1WG
Creature - Antelope
Trample, First Strike
Other Antelope creatures you control have +1/+2.
Whenever ... deals combat damage to a player, summon a 1/1 antelope for each enchantment you control.
3/4

Prinny Bringer of the Spampocalypse

Two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:54 am 
Young Dragon

General Khurzog - 2RR
Legendary Creature - Orc
Haste
Other Orcs you control get +1/+1 and have haste
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice another creature. If you do, draw a card.
At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice a non-creature permanent. if you do, put three 1/1 red Orc Grunt creature tokens onto the battlefield.
3/3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:02 pm 
Young Dragon

Creation round closed

Please have ratings in by Thursday.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:07 am 
Adult Dragon

Urza - 4.0 - I like this card, simple yet very creative. What holds it back is that not a large percentage of nightmares can't take advantage of it.

Nightwalker - 3.5 - The power of this card is largely format dependent. Overall I like the idea and think it's relatively balanced but I do worry that being able to bolt somebody every turn just for playing your creatures might be a bit overpowered even with the life loss drawback.

Arix - 2.5 - A good middle of the road card. Nothing that jumps out at you as being particularly cool or powerful but nothing wrong with it either.

The_Admaster - 3.0 - I think you might be pushing this a bit. 3/4 trample first strike is already a good deal for 3 mana in and of itself. But then you add stat boosting and token producing on top of that and it gets ridiculous. I do like they idea though.

Dr.Awesome - 2.5 - Holy wall of text Batman! This card is insane. At the end of every one of your turns for the cost of a land or other non-land permanent that yout don't need any more you get three tokens. At that the beginning of every one of your upkeeps for the cost of one of those tokens you get to draw a card. Yeah this is busted.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:15 am 
Spamslayer Dragon

Urza - Kruger, the Dream Corrupter 2.5 - While it does look like an interesting idea on the surface, I can't help but think not a lot of effort went into seeing just how it would work in the game. For example, what if you're unable to choose two targets? It looks like you went "This would be cool" without actually looking through or testing potential results.

Nightwalker - Karlesk Forge-Tenders 3.5 - Possibly too powerful depending on the environment, but I like the idea. Aesthetics are an issue - the numbers feel a bit random.

IronHead - Black Widow Matriarch 3.0 - Seems like a pretty standard lord. The token is a bit odd for a Spider (no classically Spider-esque traits such as reach and p<t).

The_Admaster - Possessed Ruminant 2.0 - Another one that feels a mite tacked together, and also a mite overpowered. Some lower stats and cutting the "per enchantment" clause would go a long way.

DrAwesome25 - General Khurzog 2.5 - One of the last two abilities needs to be cut, or they need to have a bit more tying them together. Doesn't feel particularly "orcish" either. Drawing cards doesn't seem to tie much in to Orcs, and the token generation makes them seem like just Goblins 2.0.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:19 pm 
Young Dragon

Urza - 3.0
I like the idea, but I'm having a hard time disagreeing with what Arix said. It seems almost too situational, but it's still really cool.

Nightwalker - 3.0
The card's stats are balanced for the cost, but the ability looks a little bit wonky. Bolting every time you play an imp seems bonkers (I don't know how many Imps there are that would make it relevant though) and I think the damage taken should be equal (Deal 3, lose 3 or maybe deal 2, lose 2). Other than that, I enjoyed the execution, and it's definitely a good building point.

Arix - 4.0
My only real complaint or critique about this submission is that Knight has been fairly explored compared to most creature types. Not by much, but I have seen many more Knights than, say, Spider or Horror. The card itself is fantastic and seems like a good curve topper for a more aggressive list.

Ironhead - 4.0
I love spider support! I wish they were 1/2s or had reach (chump blockers for days) but still seems like a really good addition to the tribe.

Admaster - 2.5
I'm sure this is a great building point, but the card seems to be all over. I'm just confused with the buff and where the enchantments tie into the antelope theme. With a little tweaking it could be a great lord, but I'm not feeling it as well, as it is right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:09 pm 
Ancient Dragon

I'm sorry I'm really late with my submissions for judging. Life got really hectic and difficult over the past two weeks. Here we go:

Urza: 4.0 -- I like this card, and I like that it is both an easy to build around card, a reasonable card on it's own, and does not turn the entire tribe into OMGWTFBORKEN. Balanced, and simple language that yields great flexibility in design.

Arix: 3.0: I really like your card, but I wish you would have made it Centaur tribal rather than Knight tribal, since Knights have a fair bit of tribal support.

Ironhead: 4.0: This is a nice card. It's thematically designed well around the spider themes, and feels very flavorful. I think it's decently balanced as a 5 drop as well.

The_Admaster: 2.5 I think there's a bit much going on in Antelopia. A 3/4 for 3 with first strike and trample is probably overpowered on its own, let alone the other two or three abilities tacked onto the thing.

DrAwesome25: 3.0 This guy is interesting. The orc tribe seems to lack a generally cohesive identity outside of moving in and around RB. I would love this guy if a) each of the sacrifice clauses were "may" clauses or b) he cost 1 mana less.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:54 pm 
Young Dragon

Round closed
Ironhead - 12
Nightwalker - 11
Arix - 10.5
Dr Awesome - 9

Congrats to Ironhead for winning this round! When you are ready, create the next round.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:08 pm 
Adult Dragon

Design a card with the word "random" in it's rules text.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:20 pm 
Adult Dragon

Unpredictable Results 1R
Instant (Uncommon)
Until the end of the turn the targets of all spells and abilities are chosen at random (the chosen target must still be valid)
Draw a card.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:34 pm 
Elder Dragon

Make your own luck 2RR
Enchantment
1, Discard a card from your hand at random: Search your library for a card that shares a type with the discarded card. Put that card into your hand then shuffle your library.