Front Page Facebook Discord Channel New to Discord? Click here!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Gauntlet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:32 pm 
Young Dragon

Creation round closed

I'm gonna try and close the round a week from today. However, I understand that prerelease is this weekend. So if you need more time, just let me know and I'll keep it open an extra day or two.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:30 am 
Ancient Dragon

IronHead = 5 / 5
[+] Click to Show Spoiler
This is, by far, my favorite card in this round. Its flavor is brilliant. The way it combines investigate and transform is unique and creative. It fits perfectly in the new, eldrazi-infested Innistrad of Eldritch Moon. Its flavor is brilliant. Did I mention I like the flavor? I can’t find a single negative thing to say about it.

Nightwalker = 4 / 5
It’s a nice, aggressively-costed zombie. I can’t find anything technically wrong with it. That being said, it doesn’t showcase the chosen mechanic (skulk, in this case) as spectacularly as some of the other entries do.

ZerO_GatewaY = 3 / 5
I can’t decide if the downside here is too much or too little. That leaves me feeling kind of conflicted about your card.

Kairyu815 = 3.5 / 5
The way you handle meld is interesting and unique. From a flavor standpoint, the process by which Silver-Barbed Saber and Curse of Thunder merge to form Thundercursed Blade is spectacular. From a gameplay standpoint, however, it requires a little bit more setup than the typical merge card(s), which is a little too much in my opinion. My biggest problem with your submission is this: I think Curse of Thunder is an amazing and interesting card (much more so than Thundercursed Blade) and I would hate to have to sacrifice it in exchange for Thundercursed Blade. A well-placed “may” in the card text would have solved this problem.

Arix = 4.5 / 5
Your entry (like Kairyu’s entry) offers a new and interesting way to meld two cards together—one that is both extremely flavorful and mechanically unique. The biggest problem I had with Kairyu’s submission (the fact that the final form seemed underwhelming compared to the cards sacrificed to create it) is completely absent here, though. Arathahr is an amazing card (one that fits well—in both flavor and function—in the world of Innistrad); and I would happily sacrifice the other two cards (which aren’t bad themselves) to summon him.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:46 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Mal: 4/5
I love this card. It seems reasonably costed, uses Emerge in a new and unique way, and doesn't dissuade me from actually using Emerge, unlike most of the Emerge cards. It also doesn't clutter the card with rules text (unlike most of my own cards) and the simplicity makes the card stand out even further.

Ironhead: 4.5/5
This guy...this guy is awesome. The flavor text makes this card truly pop for me, he's a story all to himself, and the design is great. The only thing that doesn't really make sense to me is his color. There isn't anything about this guy that makes him black to me, as most of the clue mechanics I recall are in Bant. An extremely well designed submission.

Zer0: 4/5
This is a sweet piece of equipment, and the design is ingenious. The only thing I dislike about the card is it's equip cost, because I'm sure there is a way to net a turn 3 kill in Modern with this thing and Emerge or Delve. An equip of 1 would have raised it's playability, but I understand the reasoning for flavor purposes.

Kairyu: 3/5
This is an interesting set of cards. While the unmelded parts of cards aren't usually supposed to be powerful on their own, I think the sabre is overcosted for what it does. A functional copy of Leonin Scimitar with meld would have been less painful, especially given the high equip cost of Thundercursed Blade. The Curse half of the meld is an excellently executed card, but like Mal, I would rather keep the curse and not meld the cards.

Arix: 5/5
This, this is a set of cards I would happily play base black control to use, and any set of cards that makes me want to even consider playing control is doing something right. The two unmelded parts have a nice story built into them, each seems reasonably costed for standard play for what they do (though it is a pity I can't play these in Modern, because I'd love to), and each is independently useful. Finally, I am more than happy to invest the resources into making Arathahr, because that demon is truly the successor to Grislebrand. He's batshit wonderful and I love him.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:49 am 
Adult Dragon

Malice - 4.5 - Cool, card like the use of emerge. That being said combine the evasion + growth along with the numerous ways to dump creatures into your graveyard and it could get ridiculous though I doubt it will be too powerful.

Nightwalker - 3.5 - Like this card even if it's not the most creative use of the theme. It's still a good card in zombie decks and provides a good way to get stuff into your graveyard. I expect it would be popular with the casual crowd.

Zero Gateway - 4.0 - Very cool equipment and I dig alternate win cons. Could be really, really good if you stick this on something evasive such a a big flyer.

Kairyu - 3.0 - I don't entirely get the flavor though maybe I'm just being dense. The individual pieces are okay. Not great but not bad and I do like the end result. I just don't know if it's worth jumping through hoops to get to it.

Arix - 4.0 - Dood. Dig the flavor. Blood right whispers is cool but I don't like Demonblood Ceremony since it does litterally nothing except meld until you meet the six creatures condition. That means it will be a dead card more often than not. Arathahr however kicks all kinds of ass but I could be biased because I like big flashy demons.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:37 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Malice - 4
Nightwalker - 3
IronHead - 4
Zero Gateway - :chicken:
Kairyu - 3.5
Arix - 4.5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:08 pm 
Spamslayer Dragon

Malice - Eldritch Horror 4/5. A solid use of emerge, encouraging its use in ways other than making up for the sacrifice that the existing ones do. Could use some development (I think it would be quite powerful even without emerge).

Ironhead - Determined Detective 3/5. The flavour is pretty nice, but the card as a whole has quite a disconnect between abilities. The colour is also off - black doesn't really do investigate, or the more simple draw on hit. Needs some tweaks to help bring it all together - perhaps have the flip side exile cards when you crack a Clue instead?

Nightwalker - Grafside Summoner 2.5/5. Not a bad card overall, but doesn't really show a whole lot of creativity - a pretty basic "evasion + saboteur" effect.

Zero - Blood-Fueled Crossbow 4.5/5. I'm not entirely sure what to think about this, which is a sign of an interesting design. A definite build-around where the applications aren't super-obvious is the perfect alt win con to me, and the flavour is pretty sweet.

Kai - Thunder-Cursed Blade 2.5/5. I'm not sure how well this showcases meld. The thing with meld is that it's best if the whole accomplishes similar goals to the individual parts, so that you're not really giving anything up to meld them. Here, the Curse almost seems better than the final product.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:11 am 
Young Dragon

Round closed

arix 19
mal 17.5
ironhead 17.5
zero 15.5
nightwalker 14

Congrats to Arix, you got this one. Whenever you're ready make the next round.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:58 pm 
Spamslayer Dragon

Make an X spell.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:45 am 
Adult Dragon

Mass Shooting XRB
Sorcery
Mass Shooting deals 2 damage to each of up to X target creatures. If a creature dealt damage this way dies this turn it's controller losses 2 life.
All nations grieve over such tragedy.

Last edited by IronHead on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:42 pm 
Ancient Dragon

A variant on a card theme I really enjoy to fit the challenge of the week:

The White Rider
Legendary Creature - Horseman Avatar
2 WW
Horsemanship
2/4
Whenever ~ enters the battlefield or attacks, each non-Horseman creature gets -X/-X, where X is the number of other creatures that died this turn.

Last edited by Nightwalker on Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:26 pm 
Elder Dragon

The Professor GU
Legendary Creature - Human Mutant
Whenever you cast a creature spell, target opponent reveals the top card of his library and puts it into his hand. If it's a non- land card, that creature enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters, where X is equal to the CMC of the card revealed. It becomes a mutant in addition to its other types.
0/3

Last edited by fessus viator on Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:11 am 
Young Dragon

Lord of the Blight - 3BB
Legendary Creature - Zombie
Haste
Whenever a zombie creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may give it +X/+X and haste until end of turn where X is the number of zombie creatures you control.
Zombies you control must attack each turn if able
6/3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:38 am 
Hatchling

Gatewatch blitz. :x: :w: :w: :w:

Sorcery mythic
Search your library for any number of planeswalkers with a combined CMC of :x: or less and put them onto the battlefield then shuffle your library."Giddeon's enthusiasm is really going to get on my nerves" -Liliana Vess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:17 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Torch the Fields :X: :R: :R: :G:
Sorcery
Each opponent sacrifices X Non-Legendary lands.
You can always tell when the Gruul have been somewhere. There is nothing but rubble, and soot left.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:23 pm 
Hatchling

Quality fertilizer
2GGB
Instant

Epic

Sacrifice any number of creatures you control. Put X 1/1 Green saproling creature tokens into play, where X is the sacrificed creatures combined power + 2.

Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.

"The secret ingredient is blood."
- Thelon of the Havenwood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:27 pm 
Young Dragon

creation round closed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:58 am 
Ancient Dragon

fessus: This is a cool UG card that definitely fits into the Simic world. I dig it. The X concept was well employed. I think it's a unique card that could both slot into existing archetypes and can also be a build around card. Also, effective rewording :). 4/5

Pablo: This was a solid first entry! The card seems well costed, but giving Zombies haste doesn't seem to fit the tribal type, so there is that to consider. If anything, zombies have an opposite "ETB tapped" theme as it relates to their speed in most instances. The +X/+X makes sense from a zombie horde mentality, so that I can dig. I like the high power, low toughness, but a power of six *may* be still a tad high, especially since this unique guy has haste. I would have liked this as a 5/4, but that may just be personal preference. 3/5

Bxyfluzba: Nifty card, but I'm unsure why it's white, other than to enable the well-designed flavor text. It seems decent otherwise, but doesn't really do anything unique. 2/5

ZerO: I would play this card in Modern if it cost XRG. I really like it's angle of attack and design. In particular, I like the non-Legendary clause which can often force your opponents to sac lands that produce usable mana, rather than lands into which one funnels mana to do things. The only thing I dislike about that clause is that it means I cannot use this to blow up all of the Eyes of Ugin in Legacy. 3.5/5

Tkorigins: This is an awesome, awesome card, and I would work very hard to make it work in a Rock deck. It's got a very Worm Harvest feel to it, and I have a particular fondness for that card and archetype. I often feel that one must work very hard to make cards with the Epic ability be worthwile, as none of the original Epic cards were actually playable in my opinion. I think I would be willing to play this epic card. 4/5

and simultaneously, first and last, but definitely not least:

Ironhead: I like this design. This is a card that I would happily try out in a sweeper slot in Modern Jund, because it looks like it makes Lingering Souls a terrible proposition. I would have loved it to be instant speed, but for its cost I think its appropriate to be a sorcery if its uncommon or less. 4/5.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:00 pm 
Young Dragon

Ironhead - 4/5
I like what you went for here, very well theme'd and goes great with the title of the card. My only thing is should it really be a sorcery?

Nightwalker - 3.5/5
I see what you're going for here, I just don't think white and horsemanship correlate well with effects dealing with creatures dying. I could see it instead procing off the amount of creatures you control. Dead creatures is more of a black magic thing imo. Very flavorful though

fess - 4.5/5
Very nice card. Solid design, very flavorful and pretty balanced. Great job

Byxfluzba - 3/5
Considering there's already a white planeswalker tutor, isn't very unique. The CMC seems a little high for me but otherwise a decent card. Flavor is nice

ZerO - 3.5/5
Good card, sticks to the name very well. But the CMC seems a little weird. Personally I would've gone XXRG because land destruction is very powerful and you want the card to be as balanced as possible. With double X you're making it a little harder to cast even though it's in green, thus limiting the card's potential a little and making it less over powered.

Tkorigins - 3.5/5
Good and flavorful card, my only thing is other than the "X +2" the card isn't very unique.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:47 pm 
Adult Dragon

I'll add comments later if I have time

Nightwalker - 2.0
Fessus - 3.5
Pablo - 4.0
Byxfluzba - 3.0
Zero - 3.5
Tkorigins 3.5

Last edited by IronHead on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:01 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Iron - 3.5
Nightwalker - 3
Fess - 3
Pablo - 3.5
Byxfluzba - 3.5
ZerO - :chicken:
TkO- 4

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next