Front Page Facebook Discord Channel New to Discord? Click here!
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Gauntlet
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:08 pm 
Elder Dragon

Iron - Mass Shooting - 3.5/5 - Is this a little bit of "too soon"? For 3 mana you can kill something 2 or less and deal 2 damage to your opponent. For 4 mana, 2 deaths and 4 life. For 5 mana, 3 deaths and 6 life. All based off of 2 T or less. At a glance, I want to say that it scales too much. Making it a bit OP as the more mana you dump into it.

Nightwalker - The White Rider - 2/5 - Problem #1 - Horsemanship... that's just not seen anymore. Problem #2 - caring about how many creatures died this turn seems... NOT white. I like the stats, though.

Fessus - The Professor - 5000000/5 - SO META!

Pablo - Lord of Blight - 3.5/5 - Feels more GB than mono B (see Mournwillow, Dregmangler). The must attack clause feels R, though. I like the use of X as dependent on zombie tribal.

Byx - Gatewatch Blitz - 2.5/5 - I can honestly see this be a thing, after Deploy the Gatewatch. But it really seems bland overall.

Zero - Torch the Fields - 2.5/5 - I think this would have been better if it was symmetrical instead of just opponents. In multiplayer games this would just devastate all around.

TK - Quality Fertilizer - 3.5/5 - This is good, I missed the words "any number" my first read through. That made a large difference in the application of this card. I think the +2 is probably necessary, but then the 1/1 counters seem to make this pretty powerful. 0 creatures, you get 2 2/2s. Then if you choose them all, you get 6 2/2s. Which seems like it will get out of control pretty fast. Never having played with Epic before - I am unsure how this plays out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:54 pm 
Young Dragon

Sorrrrrrry for the wait guys, been busy.

Round Closed
fessus 16
pablo 15
ironhead 15
zero 13
nightwalker 11.5

Congrats, Fessus. You win this round, though special mention to pablo and ironhead who would have tied for first had they left feedback.

When you are ready fess, create the next round. I'll be more punctual this time!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:28 pm 
Elder Dragon

Ok - for the next challenge. Create a new "draft matters" Card. As an example,

Attachment:
archdemonofpaliano.jpg
archdemonofpaliano.jpg [ 44.54 KiB | Viewed 13509 times ]

(which will look AMAZING in Foil, IMO).

So, something that matters for drafting and makes it a unique experience.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:29 am 
Adult Dragon

Incompetent Chronomancer 2U
Creature - Human Wizard (rare)
Reveal Incompetent Chronomancer as you draft it. When you do change the direction that packs are passed for the rest of the round.
When Incompetent Chronomaster enters the battlefield return target non-land permanent to it's owner's hand.
"Uh oh, that can't be right."
2/2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:40 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Deceptive Change
2UU
Instant

Draft Deceptive Change face up. Whenever you draft another card, you may return Deceptive Change to the pack and draft an additional card from that pack.

Return up to two target nonland permanents to their owner's hand. For each permanent you own returned this way, you may place another nonland permanent card with an equal or lesser convertd mana cost from your hand onto the battlefield tapped

Bet you didn't see this one coming.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:32 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Trash Totem [5]
Artifact
Reveal Trash Totem as you draft it and note how many cards you've drafted this draft round, including Trash Totem.
Attacking creatures you control get +X/+0, where X is equal to the highest number you noted for cards named Trash Totem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:38 am 
Spamslayer Dragon

Council's Adjudicator 1WW
Creature - Human Wizard
Draft ~ face up.
As you draft a card from a pack, you may turn ~ face down, choose another player, and reveal a card from that pack. The chosen player can't draft the revealed card unless there are no others.
As ~ enters the battlefield, name a nonland card.
Players can't cast spells with the chosen name.
2/3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:49 pm 
Young Dragon

Creation round closed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:55 pm 
Ancient Dragon

IronHead = 3.5 / 5
[+] Click to Show Spoiler
Honestly, I’m not smart enough to fully comprehend the effect your card’s first ability would have on the drafting process. I love the idea of a bumbling chronomancer accidentally reversing the flow of time, though; and both of your card’s mechanics are a good approximation of that idea. Overall, it’s a very cohesive design, which is something I appreciate.

Nightwalker = 4 / 5
The more I look at your card, the more I realize how amazingly versatile it is. It is versatile during the drafting process, where it can be traded in for a—presumably better—card. It is versatile during the game, where it can be used to trade your permanent(s) on the battlefield for—presumably better—permanent(s) from your hand. Both of these effects are so good that it creates some real tension during the draft (it forces you to ask yourself, “should I trade this in for a bomb now or should I keep it and use it to sneak a bomb into play during the game?”), which is the card’s most interesting aspect in my opinion.

Arix = 3.5 / 5
I imagine that Meddling Mage is a powerful card in the draft format, primarily because its user has seen a good portion of the cards in the card pool and therefore has a good idea of which card to name. This (dare I say “strictly better”?) version goes one step further by allowing you to limit an opponent’s card choices during the drafting process. Overall, it is a very powerful and very flavorful card.

As you doods may have noticed, I really didn’t have anything bad to say about any of the cards in this round. I feel, therefore, that I should offer some additional explanation about the scores I gave you. What I really wanted to see in this round were cards that created tension during the drafting process—cards that would force you to stop and contemplate how to most efficiently utilize their draft-related aspect(s). Nightwalker’s card, in my opinion, accomplished this better than the others; so I gave Nightwalker’s card the highest score.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:57 am 
Adult Dragon

I find it hilarious that the guy who created the round didn't submit a card. Anyways on with the judgements:

Nightwalker - 5.0 - My favorite card this round. It seemed simple at first but the more I think about it the more I see to it. Great job dude.
Malice - 3.0 - I love the concept of this card by I feel like it might be over powered given how easily X can equal like 8+ and over run style effects are pretty powerful in draft.
Arix - 4.5 - This card is cool. Very powerful effect on the draft and in the game though we've seen the later before on a number of other popular cards.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:22 pm 
Spamslayer Dragon

Sorry for keeping it brief, but life's a bitch right now.

Ironhead - 3.5/5. Interesting draft effect, although I'm not sure a strictly better Man-o-War when it comes to the actual game is the greatest of ideas.
Nightwalker - 3/5. Cool effect in game, but the fact that this round was about the drafting theme and this one has already been done (Cogwork Librarian) kind of hurts it.
Malice - 4/5. I really love this idea of making cards more powerful the later you draft them, and this is a fine execution of that concept.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:44 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Ironhead: 3/5
I like the design ideas behind this card. The draft effect is compelling, and the flavor is excellent. Overall, I'm significantly more excited about the effects of this card in draft than in game, and the two effects don't relate to one another enough for me.

Mal: 4/5
I love the questions I'm forced to ask when I decide to draft or pass Trash totem, because it causes interesting decisions in draft that directly bear on the card's effectiveness in game. there's a nice bonus to the fact that you don't have make those decisions when you open one, and can send an opponent a rather serious dilemna. +2/+0 for your team is not insubstantial all on it's own, and the gamble only grows as you subsequently make that same choice. This was great design.

Arix: 3/5
I really like the angle you tried to attack the draft from, but the draft mechanic is awkward and requires excessive bookkeeping and management. Something to the effect of exiling a card from the draft pack seems cleaner to me with a appropriately worded way to not short a player a card. Even a card that had no in game effects, but shorted a card from the entire draft, would have been compelling. The ETB effect is standard white and entirely playable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:20 am 
Young Dragon

round closed

nightwalker 13
mal 12
arix 12
iron 11

Congrats to Nightwalker, you got this one. When you are ready, create the next round.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:20 am 
Ancient Dragon

Creating a challenge is tougher than I thought, so let's create a card type that I think is both compelling in play and offers a lot of creative design space. Charms! aka modal effects. Charms typically have 2-3 options and allow the player to choose 1 of them. Charms should be distinguished from Commands, where 4 options are offered and the player gets to choose 2.

So, create a modal effects charm (choose 1 option) card.
Note: the "charm" does not need to be an instant/sorcery. Any card type is fine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:47 pm 
Adult Dragon

Nalaar Family Charm 3RR
Instant
Choose 1:
* Create 3 1/1 colorless hopter artifact creature tokens with flying
* Nalaar Family Charm deals X damage to target creature or player where X is the number of artifacts you control
* You get a token copy of target artifact. At the end of turn exile that token.
If you control 3 or more artifacts, choose 2.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:00 am 
Young Dragon

Round Mulligan

In honor of the release of Kaladesh, design a card that uses one of the mechanics from Kaladesh.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:07 pm 
Ancient Dragon

A Playable Vehicle
Artifact--Vehicle
2/2
Trample
Crew 1
Fabricate 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:00 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Scrapheap Sage [1][U]
Creature - Human Artificer
Fabricate 1
Whenever you cast an Artificer creature spell, it gains fabricate 1.
1/1

Last edited by Mal on Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:20 pm 
Adult Dragon

Prototype Jet 2BR
Artifact - Vehicle
Flying, Haste
Crew 1
When Prototype Jet dies discard your hand and sacrifice each creature crewing it. Draw cards equal to the total power of creatures sacrificed this way.
"Test #42 - Prototype burst into flames. There were no survivors. Further testing is required."
4/4

Last edited by IronHead on Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:58 pm 
Elder Dragon

Aethersphere Cyclotron
Artifact
Whenever an artifact creature you control dies, you get energy counters equal to its power.
EEE: Put a +1/+1 counter on target noncreature artifact. Until end of turn, it becomes an artifact creature with base power and toughness 0/0.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next