Front Page Facebook Discord Channel New to Discord? Click here!
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: The Gauntlet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:52 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Over-Charged Aether Warwhale :2: :U:
Artifact Creature - Whale
Flying, Menace

At the beginning of your upkeep, or whenever ~ attacks you must pay :E: :E:. If you don't, sacrifice ~.

"The power needed to fuel one is mighty, but so are they"
6/6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:25 pm 
Elder Dragon

Aether Explosives :4:
Artifact
As an additional cost to cast ~, pay EEE.
:4:, Tap, Sacrifice ~: Destroy target non-artifact creature. Gain Energy equal to that creature's Toughness.
"Domestic terrorism strikes again, this time at the heart of the inventor's fair. Head Judge Tezzeret was uninjured in the explosion. Suspects remain at large."

Last edited by fessus viator on Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:30 pm 
Spamslayer Dragon

Parade Float 4
Artifact - Vehicle
Other creatures you control get +1/+1.
Crew 3
5/5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:04 am 
Young Dragon

Creation round closed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:50 pm 
Elder Dragon

Nightwalker - A Playable Vehicle (already exists in the form of Smuggler's Copter....) 1/5 -
Immediately I see an issue. Fabricate LITERALLY says "when this creature....". Playable is not a creature when it ETB. Even if Fabricate did not specifically call out a type (creature) when it enters, we get into this murky knowledge area. Imagine if you will something like Essence Flux (this example would need you assume that the Vehicle was also a Spirit... maybe you have a Conspiracy naming Spirits in play) and you bounce the car. So it gets the +1/+1 even though its not a creature? So, IF it DOES get the counter that means I can Doom Blade it? So, it ISNT a creature then it can't get the counter? I think it just causes too many problems for players than it needs to.

Mal - Scrapheap Sage - 2.5/5 -
Fabricate Lord(ish)! I think though that this is too low costed. I mean, a cursory check confirms, that the lowest Fabricate cost is CMC3. This is one less than that AND it gives all other Artificers the ability too. I think this should be BARE MINIMUM 3, but more likely CMC4 or 5.

Ironhead - Prototype Jet - 4/5 -
This is something I can get behind. I mean I like it a lot. At first I thought this was a Jet PACK and thought it was kinda a flavor fail, but after, you know... READING, I saw that it was just a jet. No Pack in there. I like it. The colors feel right, the mana cost feels right for a 4/4. The card draw feels right in Black's wheelhouse. Overall, I'd play this....

Herald - Aethersphere Cyclotron - 3.5/5 -
Love the name! Kinda like Night's issue, but this ability (I think) is a more straightforward IF you had switched the sentences. Other than that, I think gaining E whenever an artifact creature dies is cool.

Zero - Over-Charged Aether Warwhale - 2/5 -
What is up with all the awesome names?!?? First off, a cost reduced evasive beater is neat but nothing to shout to the heavens about. That being said, I do like the necessity for the E to keep this bad boy on hand. HOWEVER, a cursory check of MtG history has shown a grand total of ONE blue creature (Wind Spirit) with Menace. And it was a 3/2 flyer for 5. And it was in 6th ED!!!! I don't think that this is in Blue's wheelhouse anymore... if it really ever was.

fessus - Aether Explosives - !/5 -
Whaaaaaa?

Arix - Parade Float - 3.5/5 -
At 4CMC we already have an Anthem effect and Gideon is better. I would have like this more if it were CREWED creatures gain +1/+1 or something that boosted vehicles. Kinda like a Vehicle Lord. Its Crew cost is on par with other 5/5 vehicles. Excluding its Anthem (which doesn't effect itself) its just a bland car. Sure it may be reliable, but Toyota Corolla's don't win Best in Show.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:59 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Nightwalker = 2 / 5
[+] Click to Show Spoiler
Unfortunately, fabricate doesn’t trigger when vehicles enter the battlefield because they aren’t creatures when they enter the battlefield. If it did, A Playable Vehicle would be an extremely playable vehicle. Since it doesn’t, your card doesn’t really work the way you intended. That’s not the biggest problem that I have with your submission, though. The thing I dislike most about your card is its flavor. Its flavor is just too…. Too…. Your card has no flavor. None whatsoever. That makes me a little sad.

EDIT: Please disregard the first half of my comments above.

IronHead = 4 / 5
Your card is the antithesis of Nightwalker’s card. It is steeped in flavor. It is soaked in flavor. It tastes like blood and smoke and screams. I love it. It is also unique, well balanced, and exceptionally playable. Well done, dood.

HeraldBFC = 3.5 / 5
I love the concept behind your card, Herald. It’s like a MtG-inspired take on catabolism and anabolism—converting matter to energy and back again (which is something I would love to see more of in future sets). At first glance, the card seems kind of limited. Upon closer examination, though, it looks surprisingly versatile (I feel like it could be used—in conjunction with other cards that use energy counters, for example—to do some pretty amazing things). Nicely done, dood.

ZerO_GatewaY = 2.5 / 5
Over-Charged Aether Warwhale…. That name is gorgeous, dood. Absolutely gorgeous. The flavor of your card is ingenious and the design is—overall—pretty exciting. Menace, however, seems really out of place on a blue creature. It’s jarringly off-color. If you had made it a colorless artifact creature instead, I feel that Over-Charged Aether Warwhale would have been nearly perfect (and would most likely have won top marks for its flavor alone).

fessus viator = 3 / 5
All you did here, essentially, was add an energy cost to a standard “destroy target creature” effect. That being said, colorless artifacts have never gotten many “destroy target creature” effects; so maybe adding an energy requirement is the right way to address this shortfall. Your card seems appropriately costly (it costs a lot; but a colorless effect of this type should always cost a lot) and relatively flavorful (even though the last line seems tacked on and isn’t entirely consistent with the card’s flavor). Overall, well done.

Arix = 3 / 5
I’m sure Parade Float is a carefully designed and well balanced vehicle…. It's just not very exciting….

Last edited by Mal on Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:36 pm 
Adult Dragon

Nightwalker - 2.0 - Even if this worked the way you wanted it would be boring as and only somewhat more efficient than usual.

Malice - 3.5 - I agree that this might be slightly undercosted but it's a cool card that gives support to a non-traditional tribe.

HeraldBFC - 4.0 - This is a cool card. I dig combat tricks and this services a great way to turn an opponents creature into a 1/1 and screw up their combat math. Also not a terrible way to steadily grow one of your own.

Zero_Gateway - 2.5 - Nothing wrong with this card but nothing exciting about it either. Good way to handle the undercosted beefy, beater type creature.

Fessus - 3.0 - Dig the flavor. Colorless removal can be tough to balance and this seems like it does it well without being broken.

Arix - 3.5 - I get what you were going for and it works well. The card still isn't particularly exciting but it has some useful synergies.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:25 am 
Spamslayer Dragon

Nightwalker - A Playable Vehicle 1.5/5. As the local rules dragon, I feel the need to point out that this does actually work - although the reminder text for fabricate states "When this creature..." the actual rules state "When this permanent...". Aside from that...well, the name of the card says it all. It's playable, and absolutely nothing more.

Mal - Scrapheap Sage 4/5. Cool to give support to a less represented tribe, and in a way that will usually help them while still being generally useful. Perhaps undercosted (I would say blue doesn't really get bears, but let's face it, no one really cares about that anymore).

Ironhead - Prototype Jet 3.5/5. Interesting enough take on the ability, if perhaps a little overloaded. The flavour's nice, though.

Herald - Aethersphere Cyclotron 4/5. Sweet looking way to use energy, and a decent way to get it back. I'd like it more if it wasn't "Until end of turn" on the animation ability.

Zero - Over-Charged Aether Warwhale 2/5. I honestly feel the need to rank this card higher for the name alone. Unfortunately it's just a rather dull design that was kind of already done in the set (Lathnu Hellion).

Fessus - Aether Explosives 2/5. Pretty much just a basic removal spell. The something something energy doesn't really seem to really add much to the card, feels a bit like it was glued on to be on theme.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:48 am 
Young Dragon

round FINALLY closed

ironhead 12.5
mal 11
arix 11
fess 9

Congrats on the win, Ironhead. Sorry it took so long to get this done. When you are ready, make the next round.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:44 pm 
Adult Dragon

In honour of the new commander decks design a card with partner or undaunted.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:49 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Act of God :4: :W: :W:
Instant
Undaunted
Target opponent can't lose the game, gains Hexproof, and creatures they control are indestructible till the beginning of their next end step. At the end of their next end step they lose the game

"I have saved you from Death's door for the moment. Take you revenge, and drag your foe down with you!"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:35 am 
Elder Dragon

Silas, Debitum Auroch 3WU
Legendary Creature - Angel Bureaucrat
Flying
Whenever an opponent casts a Legendary spell, add X mana to your mana pool at the beginning of your next precombat main phase. Where X is equal to the CMC of the legendary spell.
Partner (obligatory partner verbage)
3/4

Last edited by fessus viator on Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:43 pm 
Elder Dragon

...... So.....

I guess ill post my rating?

Zero - Act of God 4/5
Would have liked a different name, but catching your drift. I would have liked it if it were Target Player vs opponent.