Front Page Facebook Discord Channel New to Discord? Click here!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: [DRD] Draft report
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:32 pm 
Spamslayer Dragon

PACK 1
[+] Click to Show Spoiler
Rise From the Swamp
Merestan Skirmisher
Gold Guardian
Mutilated Dragon
Intimidating Roar
Trained Griffin
Stout Strike
Dragon Worshipper
Merestan Gateguard
Poisonbreath Dragon
Tasty Goblin
Herd Congregation
Storm Seer
Arkadi, Dragon of Eternities
Well this is cool, I already have a planeswalker staring at me. Unlike many planeswalkers, however, I'm not sure if Arkadi is a straight-up bomb. The mana advantage he provides can't be ignored, but unless you have something special to do with that mana, he doesn't really do much. Looking at the uncommons, Herd Congregation is much the same. The times when you get 4+ tokens off it are amazing, but how many times will you get one, or even nothing for your six mana?

I decide to take Arkadi anyway and see if I can't pick up some sweet stuff to use with him. Maybe I'll look into going into the black/green ramp archetype.

Heroic Sacrifice
Ironleaf Armorer
Into the Maw
Lair Prowler
Kneel in Awe
Absorb Mana
Dragonbone Flail
Wildmane Lancer
Dungeon Skulker
Viashino Blademate
Frost Dragon
Dragon-Blessed Viashino
Valley Lair
So we have a few good removal spells with Kneel in Awe and Heroic Sacrifice, and an okay one with Into the Maw. Wildmane Lancer is quite good, and if I'm looking to ramp there are worse commons I could get. But I don't think they quite compare to Dragon-Blessed Viashino. This guy can close out games on his own, and backed up with a few Treasures he's a legitimate threat. Frost Dragon is nice too, but I think I prefer red/green to blue/green in general.

Stout Strike
Silverblade Squire
Lair Prowler
Absorb Mana
Dragon Trap
Bonestrewn Lair
Sunplate Champion
Spew Poison
Chosen Griffineer
Dragonfire Shrine
Jadegrove Alpha
Rite of Withering
I notice a missing common and wonder what common could have been worth taking over Jadegrove Alpha. I then decide not to look a gift cat in the mouth and take that Alpha. I'm yet to see Rite of Withering in action, but I'm happy to take my powerful uncommon over it.

Of note is that I've passed an Intimidating Roar and Storm Seer with pick 1, Frost Dragon and Kneel in Awe with pick 2, and now a Chosen Griffineer. Someone to my left is playing blue and looking happy.

Hoarding Instincts
Rune-Edged Blade
Deadshot Veteran
Frozen Lair
Shadowhorn Warrior
Spew Poison
Support of the Masses
Dragonflame
Groundshaker Wurm
Trained Griffin
Webbed Canopy
Well, the good news is that red and green both seem rather open here. I could move a little into black with Spew Poison, but if I'm picking up a removal spell I'd rather stay on colour and take Dragonflame. Groundshaker Wurm is also a nice treat, but rather replaceable. I'd rather go with the removal, so I pick up the Dragonflame.

Scorched Lair
Into the Maw
Groundshaker Wurm
Absorb Mana
Claim Territory
Light Buckler
Merestan Gateguard
Centaur Avenger
Beneath Notice
Lair in the Palace
Another Groundshaker, and one of my favourite flavour cards in the set, Claim Territory. But at this point, I like Centaur Avenger. He may not be as impressive as the other members in the cycle, but essentially getting his first counter for free isn't ignorable. Picking up something a little cheaper is nice too - there'll be plenty of opportunities for more fat later on.

Canopy Dryad
Striken with Fear
Merestan Smith
Raid the Hoard
Centaur Cavalry
Shadowhorn Warrior
[url=i.imgur.com/pIROtVX.jpg]Hawksight[/url]
Training Equipment
Claim Territory
Wow, Centaur Cavalry should not be coming around this late. Blue Guy will like that Raid the Hoard.

Intimidating Roar
Training Equipment
Ironsilk Netting
Lair Prowler
Bonestrewn Lair
Risen Wanderers
Support of the Masses
Canopy Dryad
No respect for Canopy Dryad? ...alright. Blue Guy will really like that late Intimidating Roar.

Bottlebreath Goblin
Merestan Gateguard
Young Dragonlet
Mutilated Dragon
Dragon Trap
Retreat to the Lair
Support of the Masses
Well, Young Dragonlet goes nicely with my Dragonflame, and it's a nice cheap creature for me. But I also kinda like the Goblin here. And it's a good place to put the mana from Arkadi. Hopefully I can pick up a Dragonlet somewhere else, and maybe a couple other Dragons to pump him.

Rise From the Swamp
Gold Guardian
Mutilated Dragon
Trained Griffin
Dragon Worshipper
Merestan Gateguard
So people don't like Dragon Worshipper. I like Dragon Worshipper. I'll have a Dragon Worshipper.

Lair Prowler
Absorb Mana
Dungeon Skulker
Viashino Blademate
Valley Lair
Lair Prowler goes well with Dragonflame, and if I pick up a Young Dragonlet later on they'll make a cute couple. Buuut I'd rather fix my mana than improve an already good card and speculate on something I may or may not get in the future. I'll have the Lair.

Lair Prowler
Dragon Trap
Bonestrewn Lair
Dragonfire Shrine
Okay, now I'll have a Lair Prowler.

Hoarding Instincts
Rune-Edged Blade
Deadshot Veteran
Deadshot Veteran's not actually super impressive, given that a lot of fliers survive his 2 damage. Still, he can finish off a blocking Dragon post-combat? And maybe pick off an unpumped Chosen Griffineer? Whatever, he's still better than dumb Equipment and durdly Aura.

Claim Territory
Beneath Notice
Two bad, if flavourfully fun, cards. I guess Beneath Notice makes an okay sideboard card against infinite removal?

Striken with Fear
I mean, okay.

THE PICKS SO FAR
Arkadi, Dragon of Eternities
Dragon-Blessed Viashino
Jadegrove Alpha
Dragonflame
Centaur Avenger
Centaur Cavalry
Canopy Dryad