Front Page Facebook Discord Channel New to Discord? Click here!
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: UR Copy Effect
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:33 am 
Elder Dragon

Hey guys. I was doing research for my Jeleva Mirror Match deck and was surprised that there were no UR "copy target spell" effects yet. The closest I could find was Cloven Casting which I thought was... useful, but not great.

It strikes me as though this *should* exist given it's something that both colors are good at it and have similar cards that hit it, but might not because of flavor/costing concerns.

I was curious how you might try to design a 2cmc copy spell requiring both R and U, other than just "reverberate + twincast".

"The best and worst part of being a goblin is that you never have to wonder what people think about you. They are more than willing to let you know at every conceivable opportunity." - Skizzdret, The Guildless

Post subject: Re: UR Copy Effect
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:29 am 
Spamslayer Dragon

Given that 2cmc is the standard for Fork/Twincast/Reverberate, you're probably not getting much of a bonus for requiring both colours but keeping the 2cmc. Perhaps just adding something like uncounterability?

Post subject: Re: UR Copy Effect
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:54 am 
Elder Dragon

Arix wrote:
Given that 2cmc is the standard for Fork/Twincast/Reverberate, you're probably not getting much of a bonus for requiring both colours but keeping the 2cmc. Perhaps just adding something like uncounterability?

I was thinking that this could be the problem with it... there's not a lot to add other than twisting the mana cost. Uncounterability seems nice, but it feels so boring given the izzet pairing. Which probably means it's the right call, but it disappoints me so much.

If coin flips weren't so rare in newer sets, I'd almost do "Copy target spell, then flip a coin. If you win the flip, you may chose new targets for that spell as well."

Approaching the 4cmc cost seems like a more fun design space, but likely limits playability.

"The best and worst part of being a goblin is that you never have to wonder what people think about you. They are more than willing to let you know at every conceivable opportunity." - Skizzdret, The Guildless