Front Page Facebook Discord Channel New to Discord? Click here!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4084 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:16 pm 
Elder Dragon

The_Admaster wrote:
If I was to get back into standard, I'd go dino tribal for sure.

I am however looking for commanders so I can build a deck from the ground up, but everything is a bit meh...

Dino tribal was another one I was looking at, but the problem is that there really aren't many good dinos below 7 mana, so it just becomes a ramp deck, which is less interesting to me. I really wanted to make an enrage deck work, but there are only like 5 enrage creatures and only one of them is good in that kind of deck.

As far as commanders go, Wizards has decided during the last couple years that they want the story characters (AKA most legendary creatures) to show up in standard, so they design them all toward that, which means they're all really shitty generals, with a few exceptions like the Gods. I hate it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:25 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Yeah I can see that, I actually dislike legendary creatures in non-highlander formats and I'm really not sure why.

The Gods are mostly what I'm drawn to atm tbh. Potentially Talrand, but still in the planning phase.

EDIT: Forgot about the new Gods, was referring to the Theros block ones.

Prinny Bringer of the Spampocalypse
[+] Click to Show Spoiler

Two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:54 pm 
Ancient Dragon

i found a hilarious board game

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:26 pm 
Ancient Dragon

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comme ... to_player/

Well this is extremely shitty.

Two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:38 pm 
Ancient Dragon

i didn't believe it until i saw the post history

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:04 pm 
Ancient Dragon

There's a South Florida Judge Conference scheduled for Feb 3rd, but I kinda don't wanna drive three hours to get there. It's in Hollywood and I'm in Titusville.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:46 pm 
Elder Dragon

Golgari_Spy wrote:
i didn't believe it until i saw the post history

5 magic posts and one request for a big ole dick.

This chick knows what she's about.

"The best and worst part of being a goblin is that you never have to wonder what people think about you. They are more than willing to let you know at every conceivable opportunity." - Skizzdret, The Guildless

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:02 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Ok. Rick and Morty is amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:28 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Review of Kingsman 2
Bloated, unnecessary, and mostly disappointing. We've gone from a clever, tongue in cheek homage to the occasionally sexist or outdated Bond style spy thriller with a plausible and well articulated plot to straight up american parodic self portrait. No one is likable here. All interesting development is counterbalanced by the regression required to justify such gains. The set pieces are well executed when you ignore the actual setup. We've gone from acceptable to tongue in cheek ideas allll the way over to overpowered or stupid arm flailable conceits for the whole scenario - how long till we see a whisk (e)y powered droid full of hamburger for our next miraculous revival?

Two out of three ain't bad, but if we're due 30s nostalgia next don't worry, Vaughn - this is already a great depression. 1.5/5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:44 pm 
Elder Dragon

Soooo, are you blaming America or saying that its pandering to Americans?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:20 pm 
Elder Dragon

Neither, I think. Seems to me the point was that it ventures too far into shitty over-the-top parody of American culture.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:49 pm 
Ancient Dragon

we have a culture

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:33 pm 
Elder Dragon

... What part of Samuel L. Jackson's plan was plausible again?

"The best and worst part of being a goblin is that you never have to wonder what people think about you. They are more than willing to let you know at every conceivable opportunity." - Skizzdret, The Guildless

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:01 am 
Ancient Dragon

Arsonist wrote:
... What part of Samuel L. Jackson's plan was plausible again?

I find killer blade runners and mobile phones that remove inhibitions and somehow then induce killing rages more plausible than someone who controls ALL the drug trade after dropping out of Harvard within the last fifteenish years and has the ability to poison their entire stock for months with the symptoms only showing up now, even on first time users. Ps she has robots fucking everywhere but they're not going to be used in any meaningful way.
The entire film begins by saying that British spy stuff is outdated so I said to myself "ok, so this is going to do for America what it did for us then." That'd imply highlighting the classism, at best three track society, and maybe even "oh after Valentine - an american - did this, we though we'd be a bit more proactive <patriot act or something pastiche.>"
Problem is that we're outdated and we know it, but the war on drugs is still real and still ultra harmful, and we're approaching the sequel from a position entirely dissimilar from the first, so we have to rely entirely on informed character traits from a first movie we're never privy to. Channing Tatum is an asshole who is never given a chance to redeem himself for the audience - unlike Michael Caine who at least had keen social bullshit and an arc to him. Colin Firth came back, but he's playing a different character... and his return removes all stakes. Did you enjoy any of the character interactions from the first like the 'Spy story' dialogue? There are no such moments - we've gone from SJ to someone mainly known for stateside work so there is NO resonance to her character. See also: 70s spy/culture nostalgia to wholly US 50s nostalgia with random Elton John throwin seemingly just to recreate the shitty Tilde thing which was fun in the first but tired here.
This is such a massive disappointment and such a waste of time. Why the fuck is it 140 minutes? The end result was the death of everything we loved from KM1 and its replacement by Kentucky (Kentucky of all places!) based American super soldiers with nowhere near the same charm.

And yet, all of this is probably a case of "we were going for a different demographic this time" so it wouldn't surprise me if people looking for Trump comeuppance and not having to feel bad about missing the first film so that they can skip right to the cowboys and bourbon will love it. The action is stupid fun violence, but I need SOME amount of investment in the characters to enjoy it. There's a lot of "brit begins fight, fails, new character ends it" going on here and I NEVER like the 'serial escalation via nerfing the old breed' style of sequel.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:36 am 
Elder Dragon

Well, I haven't seen the new one yet so I can't comment on much. The only thing I'll say is that the thing people raved most about the first one was the scene in the church, which might explain some dumping into action.

Really though, it almost sounds like the new villain plan is more feasible. Not by a lot, but there's a lot of dumb things about Jackson's plan in the first one. You've got the whole satellite system he had to set up, a bunch of celebrities and politicians missing with no one looking for them, the idea that no one, not even people who regularly jailbreak phones is suspicious enough of free internet/calls on his chips/sim cards to investigate, the fact that his brain implants for some reason have an explosive charge that can go off (not so much the feature which he plans to use to kill... I guess anyone who joins him and backstabs him. The real problem is that these can be mass controlled), and finally the fact that said brain implant leaves a very distinct scar on anyone it puts on.

I'd buy worldwide drug kingpin using a slow burn poison over that, but that's just from the bit that I read above.

Sorry, I just watched the cinema sins for it the other day. It's not a good plan.

Edit: Just wanted to point out that I really really liked the first movie. The over the top scheme was a big part of why I liked it. Just wanted to point out that "plausible" would never be the word I'd use to describe it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:45 pm 
Elder Dragon

Man, fuck rust. I'm gonna have to pay someone to install one brake rotor because I already did the first one and the second one has a pair of bolts so rusted on that I snapped the head off my socket wrench. I don't have the tools necessary to deal with this problem, and paying someone to do it is a lot cheaper than buying an impact driver and possibly a blowtorch.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:11 pm 
Adult Dragon

HeraldBFC wrote:
Review of Kingsman 2
Bloated, unnecessary, and mostly disappointing. We've gone from a clever, tongue in cheek homage to the occasionally sexist or outdated Bond style spy thriller with a plausible and well articulated plot to straight up american parodic self portrait. No one is likable here. All interesting development is counterbalanced by the regression required to justify such gains. The set pieces are well executed when you ignore the actual setup. We've gone from acceptable to tongue in cheek ideas allll the way over to overpowered or stupid arm flailable conceits for the whole scenario - how long till we see a whisk (e)y powered droid full of hamburger for our next miraculous revival?

Two out of three ain't bad, but if we're due 30s nostalgia next don't worry, Vaughn - this is already a great depression. 1.5/5

That's a shame. I loved the first Kingsman movie.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:11 pm 
Hatchling

Still alive but i did lose my laptop to the storm. :(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:20 am 
Ancient Dragon

Megaman915 wrote:

You're still in Orlando, right? You doing any prereleases out there? I moved to Titusville, btw.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:50 pm 
Hatchling

Epoa wrote:
Megaman915 wrote:

You're still in Orlando, right? You doing any prereleases out there? I moved to Titusville, btw.

Naw, im south of Houston in Texas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4084 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205  Next