Front Page Facebook Discord Channel New to Discord? Click here!
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4771 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:24 am 
Elder Dragon

Eh, I've never really cared about broken cards. I care about fun cards. Granted, they've been doing a better job with that recently, too. Stolen Strategy is my favorite new card in quite a while.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:56 pm 
Elder Dragon

Twinblaze wrote:
Eh, I've never really cared about broken cards. I care about fun cards. Granted, they've been doing a better job with that recently, too. Stolen Strategy is my favorite new card in quite a while.

i am pretty sure you care about sol rings for commander purposes

in other news one deck can be two different archetypes at once, now that is some skill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:46 am 
Elder Dragon

So I managed to get my friends to try out a new multiplayer format with me. 60 card decks, vintage banned list, but the entire deck must be worth less than $15 total. The idea being everyone makes several of what are basically just old-school 60-card casual decks, and we can play several quicker games instead of one 3-hour EDH game. And if there's a deck that's overpowered, no big deal, it was over quickly and everyone's switching decks for the next game anyway. And if it gets to the point that no one wants to play against a particular deck, the player who built it is only out $15.

Anyway, I've been going through some of my old From the Lab articles for deck ideas, and when testing one of them on Cockatrice I ended up testing the Cockatrice interface more than I was testing the deck:
[+] Click to Show Spoiler
Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 98.16 KiB | Viewed 1041 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:21 am 
Elder Dragon

Also, while this is probably either wrong or can be simplified in some way, I refuse to do any more math than absolutely necessary, because fuck math. So here's what I came up with for figuring how much damage you're attacking for with this deck:

2x(x(x-1)+1)+2y²x+3x+3y

Where x is the number of Precursor Golems you control and y is the number of Golem tokens.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:08 pm 
Elder Dragon

What website are you using to determine the prices for that format? Because that sounds super interesting to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:51 pm 
Elder Dragon

Twinblaze wrote:
Also, while this is probably either wrong or can be simplified in some way, I refuse to do any more math than absolutely necessary, because fuck math. So here's what I came up with for figuring how much damage you're attacking for with this deck:

2x(x(x-1)+1)+2y²x+3x+3y

Where x is the number of Precursor Golems you control and y is the number of Golem tokens.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:54 pm 
Elder Dragon

HeraldBFC wrote:
What website are you using to determine the prices for that format? Because that sounds super interesting to me.

We've been using mtggoldfish's deck pricer, since it lets you just copy/paste and get a number with no extra steps. Only downside is the very cheapest cards are a lot more expensive than they are on TCGplayer. (Like $0.11 for Arcane Flight instead of $0.02)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:51 pm 
Elder Dragon

Went to a battlebond sealed today. Didn't go poorly at all, even if the results don't look great.

Me and my partner drew into two of the legendary creatures, and were able to finagle our other combos to the point where we were running all four sets of partners with me playing Dimir (Blue Black) and my partner playing Selesnya (Green White)

Our legendaries combos were-

and

With our other two combos being Ley/Lore (card draw and mana ramp) and Captain/Recruiter (warrior combo that makes more warriors and buffs them on attacks). Other notable draws were greater good and true-name nemesis, which you *think* would be good but... well.

Game one started off with a very big bang. We got behind the bullet of a flyer pinging us, but I drew into Krav which let my partner go fetch Regna and things went downhill for the opponents from there. I was able to keep my and my partners hand full with Krav activations and a well placed oppurtunity, which let us drop gorm and virtu, and a swing out for the win shortly afterwards.

Game two we started strong with me planting two 0/4 kraken hatchlings as blockers. My teammate rolled along nicely and put a lot of bodies on the field but my deck just completely stalled. I was stuck at 4 mana for forever and neither of us drew into any of our major partner cards, which gave the other team enough time to add a lot of creatures to the board and then give them all trample for an overrun style victory.

Game three one of our opponents had to leave, so that team forfieted to us. That resulted in basically the entire tournament being decided by the team we'd lost two in game two. They were playing our game one match, which meant if they won, they would win the tourney. If they lose, it would go into a 2-1 tie.

The latter occured, so all three teams that stuck in got 25 bucks of store credit and two promo packs. My partner got the Kenrith planeswalker combo in his, and I picked up toothy and pir.

Overall, pretty effective day. I actually really like the krav/regna combo, and might make a commander deck with my spare orzov cards from the great de-deckining with them. I also picked stolen strategy, which is a major get for my theiving jeleva deck. My partner walked away wtih the greater good and gorm/virtus, which I think may find a home in his jund Prossh deck. Plus, he pulled the Kenrith combo (damn him).

"The best and worst part of being a goblin is that you never have to wonder what people think about you. They are more than willing to let you know at every conceivable opportunity." - Skizzdret, The Guildless

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:32 pm 
Elder Dragon

would you like another reason to hate arena

here you go (scroll down for the bonus content)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:12 am 
Elder Dragon

i am triggering twinblaze

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:04 am 
Elder Dragon

Me reading this card the first time.

Me reading an article that points out instant speed.

"The best and worst part of being a goblin is that you never have to wonder what people think about you. They are more than willing to let you know at every conceivable opportunity." - Skizzdret, The Guildless

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:13 am 
Elder Dragon

i want your face when you see that it is the buy-a-box promo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:20 pm 
Elder Dragon

Oh, that last pic covered it. Without instant speed, I thought they'd settled on just picking on edh players with niche cards. At instant speed I wanted to throw my machine.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:13 pm 
Elder Dragon

hey arsonist i want your opinion on this card

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:08 pm 
Elder Dragon

How is this already better than IMA?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:59 pm 
Spamslayer Dragon

So am I the only one who hates how Bolas is becoming more and more of some sort of horrible pug gremlin?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:58 am 
Hatchling

I do not have such strong feelings about it, but I will say it seems like a vague inspiration.

[+] Click to Show Spoiler
Attachment:
transferir (1).jpeg
transferir (1).jpeg [ 7.18 KiB | Viewed 879 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:10 am 
Elder Dragon

Arix wrote:
So am I the only one who hates how Bolas is becoming more and more of some sort of horrible pug gremlin?

I mean that's sort of been a thing since his first planeswalker card, but it's definitely worse on the M19 one. I agree that's it's dumb, though. I mean, I get that they probably wanted to be able to give him more recognizable facial expressions, but he's supposed to be a dragon. He should have a big doofy dragon face like the rest of them. He can keep his weird skinny body and bipedal posture to separate him from the rest.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:57 pm 
Spamslayer Dragon

I know it's been that way since Conflux, but it seems to be getting worse and worse. I always hated his modern design (being bipedal on those tiny legs + what appears to be just the biggest tumour on his chest = how does his torso not snap like a twig?), but it's getting ridiculous now. If you were to just show his face to someone who didn't know, there's no way they'd ever be able to recognise him as a dragon. That's a problem.

Actually, while I'm on the subject, it kind of bothers me how he's just so undragonlike in general. Dragons are red's iconic creature because they embody its wild, reckless, chaotic and free nature, and Bolas is nothing like that, being characterised as a long-term scheming mastermind. Now I have nothing wrong with a dragon being portrayed like that, obviously - in other works. But it seems to me that Magic's number one iconic dragon should be more representative of what the game's other dragons are like.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:38 am 
Ancient Dragon

Are YOU wild, reckless, chaotic, and free nature, Arix?

And dragons have all sorts of different personalities. Only one OG elder dragon and one Tarkir Elder Dragon actually fit the bill of wild, reckless, chaotic, and free nature: Palladia-Mors and Colgate Toothpaste.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4771 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239  Next