Front Page Facebook Discord Channel New to Discord? Click here!
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:43 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Welcome to the new and improved Olympics of Awesomeness--a fun and friendly forum competition where all members of the Tavern of Souls community can compete in various Olympic Events (a variety of challenges designed to put their mentle mettle to the test) to showcase their creative skills and earn thier place in the hallowed Hall of Champions! All may enter; but only the awesome shall prevail! Some of the rules of the competition have changed, so please peruse the revised rules below.

Competition Rules:
[+] Click to Show Spoiler
Participation:
Once a month, I will announce a new Olympic Event along with a deadline for submissions. Anyone who wants to participate in that event may post their submission in this thread before the deadline date.

If you have an idea for an event, please post it in the discussion thread.

Judging:
Following the submission period for each event, the Tavern of Souls community will be allowed to judge the entries. Elligible members of the forum (specifically, anyone who joined the forum before the beginning of the current Olympic Event) may vote for his/her favorite submission by making a brief post in the submission thread. You may describe why you are voting for a submission; but you are not required to. Members who have submitted an entry in the event will be allowed to vote; but they will not be allowed to vote for their own submission.

In order to avoid clutter in the submission / judging thread, please post all comments, questions, smack-talk, etc. (basically, anthing that isn't a submission or a vote) in the discussion thread.

Hall of Champions:
[+] Click to Show Spoiler
HeraldBFC (1 win)
IronHead (2 wins)
ZerO_GatewaY (1 win)

Last edited by Mal on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:41 am 
Ancient Dragon

The first event of the new and improved Olympics of Awesomeness, which was inspired by the release of Modern Masters 2017 on March 22nd, is:

Choose a card from the Legacy banned list and design a revised version of it that is playable (i.e., neither noticeably underpowered nor noticeably overpowered) in the current Standard format.

The deadline for submissions is Sunday, April 16, 2017. Good luck; and have fun!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:01 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Chosen Card - Tinker

Tinker :2: :U:
Sorcery
As an additional cost to cast Tinker, sacrifice an artifact.
Search your library for an artifact card with a mana cost :1: higher then the sacrificed card and put that card onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:00 am 
Ancient Dragon

Chosen Card: Flash

1U
Instant
The next creature spell you cast may be cast as though it had flash. If you do not cast a creature spell the same turn you cast Flash 2.0, draw a card at the beginning of your next upkeep.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:29 pm 
Adult Dragon

eBazaar of Baghdad
Legendary Land
{T}, Discard 3 cards: Draw 2 cards.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:07 pm 
Elder Dragon

Chosen Card: Skullclamp

Skullclamp 1

Artifact - Equipment

Equipped Creature gets +1/+0.
Whenever equipped creature dies, draw two cards.

Equip 1

"The best and worst part of being a goblin is that you never have to wonder what people think about you. They are more than willing to let you know at every conceivable opportunity." - Skizzdret, The Guildless

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:50 pm 
Adult Dragon

Chosen Card: Tinker

What made Tinker so broken was that it allowed you to turn a 0 cost artifact into a 12 cost artifact for no additional cost. By simply turning it into a tutor effect you remove what made it broken while still keeping a good deal of it's utility. I felt the resulting new card deserved a slightly lower mana cost.

Tinkering Tutor :1: :u:
Sorcery (rare).
As an additional cost to cast Tinkering Tutor sacrifice an artifact.
Search your library for an artifact card, reveal it and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:44 pm 
Ancient Dragon

The inaugural event of the new and improved Olympics of Awesomeness is officially closed. It is now judgement time!

Remember: each and every member of the Tavern of Souls forums may vote for his or her favorite submission. To do so, simply make a post in this thread naming the submission you like best. The votes will be tallied (and the official winner announced) on the last day of April.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:55 am 
Adult Dragon

So I actually missed the bit about redesigning a card for **STANDARD**, but I guess my submission is still interesting as a discard outlet for Madness / Embalm / Aftermath.

ANYWAY, my vote is for Zer0's version of Tinker, which makes it into more of a Birthing Pod / Yisan style effect for artifacts. I'm not sure it'd be suitable for competitive play, due to lack of combos and it being sorcery speed, but being able to chain up into Gearhulks and other Kaladeshian goodness seems like a great place to start brewing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:00 am 
Elder Dragon

lhopitalified wrote:
So I actually missed the bit about redesigning a card for **STANDARD**

i already mentally disqualified you for not following modern land design rules (namely, do something with mana) plus your card is probably still broken in standard anyways

arsonist's card is obviously still broken in standard (the real joke would have been to submit mind shatter as a fixed mind twist, good try though)

ironhead's card is a minimal upgrade on fabricate which is probably playable in the current standard, i don't think nightwalker's card is playable in standard because it's just a worse [card]scout's warning[/card] which didn't see relevant play in its standard format (i checked), and zero's card is a lot worse than it looks because it asks for exact characteristics so it is mostly limited to colorless artifacts

my vote goes to ironhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:48 am 
Adult Dragon

Since I won't (can't?) vote for my own my vote goes Zero. It's an interesting card with some neat utility that kind of reminds me of birthing pod

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:00 pm 
Ancient Dragon

My vote goes to the new Tinker. Rock on Ironhead! This was a deep card that fit nicely into WotC's current take on powerful cards. I would happily make this into a standard deck, and it would let non Tezzeret u based artifact centric decks in Modern run a plethora of otherwise useful bullets.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:05 pm 
Elder Dragon

IronHead wrote:
Since I won't (can't?) vote for my own my vote goes Zero. It's an interesting card with some neat utility that kind of reminds me of birthing pod

F**k that. I'll vote for myself.

"The best and worst part of being a goblin is that you never have to wonder what people think about you. They are more than willing to let you know at every conceivable opportunity." - Skizzdret, The Guildless

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:41 am 
Elder Dragon

Arsonist wrote:
IronHead wrote:

F**k that. I'll vote for myself.

no, you're voting for the nonexistent mind shatter entry as a fixed mind twist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:41 am 
Elder Dragon

Can't mind fuck a goblin, GS. There's not enough mass to gather together to penetrate.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:48 am 
Elder Dragon

Arsonist wrote:
Can't mind fuck a goblin, GS. There's not enough mass to gather together to penetrate.

see, you even got the flavor text for the mind shatter entry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:59 pm 
Ancient Dragon

I assume the intent of Zero's entry was to allow it's caster to search for an artifact with a converted mana cost equal to the sacrificed card's converted mana cost plus one, in which case Zero gets my vote (please let me know if that was not your intent, Zero; in which case I will happily retract my vote).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:06 pm 
Ancient Dragon

I am going to vote for Arsonist. I have always liked Clamp, but it is super broken the way it is now with tokens, and this covers it mate. I love it.

*Tips hot chocolate mug in your direction*

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:30 am 
Ancient Dragon

April 2017 has come and gone, which means the voting period for the inaugural event of the new and improved Olympics of Awesomeness is now closed. The votes have been counted, tallied, examined, dipped in hot sauce, thrown against the wall, and stuffed in a shoebox and shipped to my granny in Pascagoula. Here are the results:

ZerO_GatewaY received three votes (from lhopitalified, IronHead, and Mal)
IronHead received two votes (from Golgari_Spy and Nightwalker)
Arsonist received one vote (from ZerO_GatewaY)

That means ZerO_GatewaY is this month's winner! Congratulations, Zero!

I want to thank everyone who participated in this month's event. Please stay tuned for the second event of the new and improved Olympics of Awesomeness, which will begin momentarily....

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:59 am 
Ancient Dragon

In celebration of Arix's birthday (which, if my information is correct, is April 19), the second event of the new and improved Olympics of Awesomeness is:

Design a five-card cycle of dragon creature cards. The cycle must include one card of each color (white, blue, black, red, and green). Each card in the cycle must be a creature card that includes the creature type "Dragon".

The deadline for submissions is Monday, May 15, 2017. Good luck; and have fun!