Front Page Facebook Discord Channel New to Discord? Click here!
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:58 am 
Elder Dragon

So my explination at how I got to this entry is in the discussion thread. But here's my entry. I'll try to say a few words about each as I go through.

Vydos, Pulse of the Pines 4GGG
Legendary Creature - Dragon 6/6
Reach
Lands you control untap at the end of each other players untap step.
Lands you control are 2/2 creatures creatures that are still lands.

So Vydos comes up first, and I think I stayed pretty close to the inspiration card Rude Awakening. I was *really* looking forward to the green one of my entry, because I really really really wanted to make a dragon that wasn't flying. I envision this as a very nature oriented dragon, deer antlers, his "wings" are just disjointed saplings, radiating weird life off of it. My my only big regret with this guy is that I had to make him 4GGG and not 3GGG like the rest in this set, but I felt like the immediate power boost when he hit the board warranted a seven over a six. Toss in a little bit of Seedborn Muse in for flavor, and he feels sexy.

Jat-Thal, The War Kite 3WWW
Legendary Creature - Dragon 4/4
Flying, Vigilance
When ~ enters the battlefield, destroy all creatures that did not enter the battlefield this turn.
Kicker XXW When ~ enters the battlefield, if the kicker cost was paid, put X 1/1 white soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.

First off, "War Kite" is horribly underused and I feel good doing it. Second of all, its pretty obvious that this is the one I probably followed the closest with from the inspiration, Martial Coup. I feel like the kicker and the fact that you get a badass dragon to go along with it makes it more unique, and that the rest still feels pretty white. Still, it's not too surprising this ended up being the one I phoned in considering how much I hated white.

Tyv, Aspect of Sky 3UUU
Legendary Creature - Dragon 4/4
Flying
When ~ attacks, you may choose up to three cards in your hand and reveal them. If their total converted mana cost is 9, you may cast one of those cards without paying it's mana cost.

Tyv was rough, mostly because it was pretty hard to make something inspired by Master of Predicaments without just copy/pasting and going NARF, DRAGON. I really liked the johnny feel of the card though, and tried to rig up something together. I did a quick google and found that in chinese, dragon's are associated with water and 9, so 9 seemed like a good arbitrary number to put on my limiter, especially since discouraging blue mages to keep around cheap casto counterspells seems like a good idea. Also seems like fun to have to mix and match to hit the correct number to drop a big "wa-bam" spell.

Neth-Regal, Death's Design 3BBB
Legendary Creature - Dragon Demon 5/5
Flying, Deathtouch
Whenever another creature dies, draw two cards.
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a creature.

Dragon Demon. Only MALF has it, and it feels good to put it here. [card]Altar's Reap[/card] didn't give me a lot to go on except "kill bitches get cards", so I tried to be as fun black beatstick as I could with it. I like the global rule here to make it *feed* on death, and help feed you as well. The deathtouch is likely a bit superfluous, but it fit with the theme so I thought "oh hell why not?"

Velroxxis, Reality's End 3RRR
Legendary Creature - Dragon 3/5
Flying, Prowess
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose a target nonland permanent controlled by an opponent and destroy it. For each card destroyed this way, the defending player reveals the top card of their library and puts any permanents revealed this way onto the battlefield under your control. They gain haste and return to their owner's control at the end of your turn.

So this isn't torchling. Like even a little. Basically I got started with the design space and was trying to use other keywords for the wall of activated abilities, but the end result kept feeling too "Dragony" (At one point it had an activated ability that gave blocking creatures flying and forced to block, which just seemed odd), which is something I'm trying to avoid here. More to the point, I love when red does weird shit like Chaos Bolt and Warp World, so I thought on that for awhile until I got this. I felt as though it was solidly strong, removing a threat and giving you a toy until end of turn, but that toy goes back to the enemy afterwards.

It shouldn't shock anyone that I was really focusing on legendary's here, because of the relationship legendary dragons have with commander. Didn't *start* as a theme, but I like the results.

So there you go.

"The best and worst part of being a goblin is that you never have to wonder what people think about you. They are more than willing to let you know at every conceivable opportunity." - Skizzdret, The Guildless

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:04 pm 
Elder Dragon

I'll fully admit that I don't really like creating one off horizontal cycles as I feel that they should be more thematically linked to a set rather than being presented all by themselves - otherwise there's not really a reason for them to exist? - and, well, I'd probably have green represented by either a really massive singular, legendary, dragon or by wurms etc instead were this part of a set, but... eh... I need to make one to fulfil the challenge so...
(Also: Didn't realise initially that they had to be creatures. I'll probably post the cycle of Tribal spells I made eventually but ah well)

Ashfall Incarnation 8BB
Creature - Shadow Dragon
Flying, trample, haste
Ashfall Incarnation costs X less to cast, where X is the amount of life lost by opponents this turn.
Living fire and dying flesh cast a shadow that persists only to extinguish.
6/6

Sunbrook Guardian 3WWW
Creature - Dragon Spirit
Flying, lifelink
Prevent all damage that would be dealt to Sunbrook Guardian by creatures with power less than the number of artifacts you control.
1, Sacrifice an artefact: The next time that you would be dealt damage this turn, that damage is dealt to Sunbrook Guardian instead.
4/4

Empyrian Tyrant 3UUU
Creature - Dragon Illusion
Flying, hexproof
Suspend 5 UU
Whenever an opponent casts an instant or sorcery spell while Empyrian Tyrant is exiled, exile it as it resolves.
When you cast Empyrian Tyrant from exile, you may cast a card exiled by it, spending mana as though it were mana of any color to do so.
4/4

Boreal Gorger 4GGG
Creature - Dragon Whale
Flash, flying
When Spellcraw Gorger enters the battlefield, exile target creature with power less than Spellcraw Gorger's toughness until it leaves the battlefield. When that creature enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
4/6

Hoarding Hellkite 3RR
Creature - Dragon
Flying, trample
Whenever Hoarding Hellkite deals combat damage to a player, create a Gold artifact token with “T, Sacrifice this token: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.” You may tap target land that player controls.
4/4

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:44 am 
Ancient Dragon

The second event of the new and improved Olympics of Awesomeness is officially closed. It is time for judgement to begin!

Beginning now, every member of the Tavern of Souls forums may vote for his or her favorite submission by making a post in this thread naming his / her favorite submission. I will be away from a functioning internet connection (THE HORROR!) on June 1st; so the votes will be tallied (and the official winner announced) on or around June 6th.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:58 am 
Spamslayer Dragon

So I have the same two problems with both of these submissions. The first is that neither of them feel like a cycle. Each of them feels like five completely separate cards. Cycles don't have to be completely tight, I know, but some connecting thread beyond creature types would have been good here.

The second issue is that not a lot of the ten cards presented feel very, well, "dragon-y". Jat-Thal and Hoarding Hellkite definitely give me a dragon feel, and some others almost get there, but for the most part, they feel like a bunch of cards were designed and then the word "Dragon" was put on them (although I guess that's almost the case with Arsonist's submission). Again, I know that not all Dragons need to be "Hey guys I deal damage and/or have firebreathing, and...", but there are other ways to make something feel proper draconic.

But with the bad out of the way, there's still a lot of good here. Despite the non-cycle non-Dragon feel, many of the individual designs are pretty cool. Pulse of the Pines would make a pretty neat enchantment. Aspect of Sky could join the ranks of all the riddle-y Sphinxes out there. Ashfall Incarnation's effect probably could have inspired a tighter cycle. And I love the flavour of Hoarding Hellkite (and wonder if people still remember the hoard mechanic from my own Dragon-centric set). The cards themselves look fun and well designed, I just wish the two words "Dragon cycle" were followed a little tighter.

Arsonist, you set yourself a difficult challenge, and managed to come out with some pretty fun designs. However, my vote goes to Herald, as two individual cards avoid each of my stated grievances - Ashfall Incarnate looks like the start of a cool cycle, and Hoarding Hellkite is both hella Dragony and so much cooler than a lot of the actual Dragons that have been printed recently (hey, you remember what either of Kaladesh's Dragons do? Me neither).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:50 pm 
Ancient Dragon

I'm glad Arix took the time to judge May's Olympic Event. An event held in honor of Arix wouldn't be complete if Arix himself hadn't participated. I suppose it is fitting that Arix is the only member of the tavern that voted, since it means his judgement stands uncontested. That being the case, it is my honor to declare HeraldBFC the winner of May's Olympic Event. Congratulations, Herald.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:09 pm 
Ancient Dragon

The third event of the new and improved Olympics of Awesomeness--which was inspired by the social media cesspool that surrounds U. S. politics--is:

Create an MtG card that uses the word "covfefe" in its name or in its textbox.

The deadline for submissions is Monday, June 19, 2017. Good luck; and have fun!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:31 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Presidential Mishap :1: :R:
Enchantment

Deal two damage to any player that says the words "Wall", "Grab'em", "China", "Loser", or "Covfefe".

"This stuff is why I quit Mitter", Chandra to Jace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:00 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Candlejack :R: :B:
Legendary Creature - Spirit

If any player says the word "Candlejack," that player must covfefe an

0/1

"If I say Candlejack's name, what happ" ~ Erik, last words

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:31 pm 
Adult Dragon

Covfefe Elemental 2RW
Creature - Elemental Rogue
When Covfefe Elemental enters the battlefield put a +1/+1 counter on each other white creature.
Enemy creatures attack each turn if able.
4/4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:57 am 
Ancient Dragon

The third event of the new and improved Olympics of Awesomeness is officially closed. It is time for judgement to begin!

Beginning now, every member of the Tavern of Souls forums may make a post in this thread naming his / her favorite submission. Your votes will be tallied (and the official winner announced) on or around July 1st.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:41 pm 
Ancient Dragon

I really like Ironhead's so I will vote for his

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:58 pm 
Adult Dragon

Voting for Zero's because I don't get Epoa's.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:27 pm 
Elder Dragon

Ok, I still have no idea what covfefe means (other than obviously being a typo of coverage) since I was a bit busy recovering from the elections instead, so I can only really discuss these from a silver/black border perspective.

Epoa: I don't get the joke at all beyond meme + meme, and it's not actually a functional card?

IronHead: Black border submission that's good as an anthem effect etc etc.

ZerO: Silver border submission that's pretty much a Gotcha card. AKA: The worst mechanic in Unhinged.

My vote goes to IronHead.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:09 am 
Ancient Dragon

I have nothing against un-cards (I'm ecstatic that a new un-set is coming soon); but I was hoping to see more submissions that would fit into a normal MtG expansion set (black border submissions, as Herald calls them). I enjoyed Zero's and Epoa's humorous cards; but IronHead's card is the only one that could be considered a black border submission. That being the case, I'm giving my vote to IronHead.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:46 am 
Ancient Dragon

June of 2017 is over, which means the voting period for the third event of the new and improved Olympics of Awesomeness is now closed. The votes have been weighed; they have been measured; they have been analyzed through a mass spectrometer; they have been subjected to extreme spychological testing. Here are the results:

IronHead received three votes (from ZerO_GatewaY, HeraldBFC, and Mal)
ZerO_GatewaY received one vote (from IronHead)

That means IronHead is this month's winner! Congratulations, IronHead!

I want to thank everyone who participated in this month's event. Please stay tuned for the fourth event of the new and improved Olympics of Awesomeness, which will begin momentarily....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:56 am 
Ancient Dragon

The fourth event of the new and improved Olympics of Awesomeness was inspired by the spoiler season for Hour of Devastation (specifically, this conversation between HeraldBFC, Epoa, and myself):

Choose a color. Create three MtG cards that have no effect on the game unless your opponent is using the chosen color.

The deadline for submissions is Monday, July 17, 2017. Good luck; and have fun!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:33 am 
Adult Dragon

Calm Down U
Instant (common)
Exert all tapped red creatures your opponents control.

Put Out the Blaze 1W
Instant (uncommon)
Gain 3 life for each red spell on the stack.

Anti-riot Ordinance 3UW
Sorcery (rare)
Destroy each red permanent your opponents control.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:17 am 
Ancient Dragon

The fourth event of the new and improved Olympics of Awesomeness is officially closed. Since there was only one submission in this month's event, I don't suppose there's any need for a judgement phase. Instead, I will go ahead and declare IronHead the winner. Congratulations, IronHead.

In related news, each and every card submitted in this month's event was--as I predicted--better than the cards in the "defeat" cycle.