Front Page Facebook Discord Channel New to Discord? Click here!
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AKH Prerelease Stories
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:55 am 
Elder Dragon

Y'all know what time it is. Gimme the deets.

I went 4-0 with a crazy exert aggro deck. All the 2-drop exert creatures, with multiple copies of some of them. I didn't have the crazy payoff exert cards (Extra combat phase, +1/+0 to all creatures whenever you exert) but I did have all the basic stuff. This was the most fun limited deck I've ever played. Casting Trial of Solidarity and exerting all your creatures so you end up with a 5/4, two 6/5s with trample, and two 5/4s with flying (27 damage) feels absolutely insane, especially when you threaten to do it all again (minus the +2/+1) next turn.

It was a rough road to 4-0, too:
Guy who had the 5-mana 3/4 double strike vigilance haste creature and drew it every game.
Guy who had [card]Oracle's Vault[/card] and drew it 2/3 games.
Guy who had 2 Hazorets and drew one every game.
Guy who had 2 -1/-1 counter demons and thankfully never drew one because I only have 2 cards in my deck that can even deal with that shit.

All-Stars
Trial of Solidarity (x2)
Trial of Zeal
Cartouche of Solidarity
4-mana 2/2 Flying Exert guy. (Gives all your dudes +1/+1)
[card]Dusk // Dawn[/card]

Surprisingly mediocre
Gideon. Weird, right? I honestly would have been better off with another cartouche. Or a removal spell, but I'm not greedy.

Money pulls
Gideon. My numerous prize packs had a dual land and that's it.

Story of the night
In one match, my opponent and I both played a turn 4 [card]Oracle's Vault[/card] We both activated it every turn after that, which means that after 3 turns, we were each playing a free card every single turn. I eventually won by killing his biggest guys with Dusk, trading off everything I had left for everything he had left, and then bringing back 5 creatures with Dawn.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:34 am 
Spamslayer Dragon

Twinblaze wrote:
Surprisingly mediocre
Gideon. Weird, right? I honestly would have been better off with another cartouche. Or a removal spell, but I'm not greedy.

One of my opponents played it, then cut it from his deck straight after our match, saying "If this was just a Fan Bearer, I'm pretty sure I would have won that game".

My first deck was green/white with a splash of red. My pool didn't have a lot of removal (two Final Reward and two Ruthless Sniper, but otherwise terrible black), so I was under Operation: Fat Guys + Combat Celebrant. Said operation served me extremely well, carrying me to victory in many a game and a pretty easy 4-0.

My second deck was green/blue with a splash of white. I had Vizier of the Menagerie, [card]Rhonas's Monument[/card], and only four noncreature spells in the entire deck. I lost one round to flooding out in both games, but otherwise won pretty handily with it. Also, my white "splash" was for Regal Caracal and I regret nothing.

Speaking of Rhonas's Monument, I was surprised with how well it handled. This card was a legitimate all-star in my deck. I assume that's in no small part to having, like I said, only four noncreature spells (and combined with the Vizier it was the actual tit nuts), but even so, this is a card I need to look more into.

My favourite game played out with my opponent getting their own Vizier of the Menagerie on turn 3, followed by me copying it with Vizier of Many Faces, followed by them playing Glorybringer and eating my Vizier, followed by me embalming it and eating their Vizier, followed by them bricking it up in an Edifice of Authority, and finally me playing Cast Out on theirs.

My least favourite game was the Approach of the Second Sun mirror match. I wasn't playing in it, but I feel stupider for having watched it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:15 am 
Elder Dragon

I ended up dropping 1 game taking 3rd overall at midnight. Opened W God and WR aggro. I threw in the G Monument just for the +2/+2 and Trample. It rocked. Also the 1 drop R dude that taps to give Haste.

Wife opened U God as promo and Gideon. Also the Sphinx.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:22 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Did anyone play As Foretold? How was it?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:00 am 
Elder Dragon

Day 2

Much less impressive pool this time. Went GR with a pile of mediocre creatures and 3 Magma Spray. Ended up going 2-1-1, Losing one match due to drawing 11 lands twice in a row, and drawing the other when I was 1 turn short of a guaranteed win. (As in there is no card in the set she could possibly have cast to stop me from winning.)

Story of the Night

The draw was only a draw because I made the most epic comeback of all time ever. She had the black god on the battlefield. I had a 6/6, so none of her other creatures could do anything. So she just sacrificed a creature and attacked with the god every turn. Since the god has menace, I had to block with the 6/6 and another creature every turn, and the other creature would die. I made some good plays, using removal spells on random stuff whenever she was tapped out to limit the number of times she could activate the god. Eventually she sacrificed her last creature to put me at 1 thanks to the God's life drain. By this point she was at 40 thanks to Renewed Faith and a big lifelink guy. Fortunately, she didn't have another creature in the top 3 cards. (Not that either of us knew this.) Obviously, as soon as I was down to 1 life I went on the aggressive, since I wouldn't be alive to block the god if it was activated again. Thanks to Watchful Naga drawing me a couple extra cards, I managed to deal 40 damage to her in 4 turns and win the game.

Money Pulls
Opened a masterpiece Spell Pierce, which I will be selling immediately.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:34 am 
Elder Dragon

Last match last night i won due to a miscalculation of my opponent after he cast Glorious End. He just didn't do math properly and lost due to the delayed trigger.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:10 am 
Elder Dragon

so glorious end lived up to its name

took long enough

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:35 am 
Spamslayer Dragon

My last round opponent was on super mega pillow fort turbo. Gideon, Edifice of Authority, Fan Bearer, a bunch of wall-ish creatures, a Lay Claim...

My response after game one was "You want to do this? Let's do this." *Sideboards in a thousand jillion cyclers and Approach of the Second Sun*

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:17 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Arix wrote:
My last round opponent was on super mega pillow fort turbo. Gideon, Edifice of Authority, Fan Bearer, a bunch of wall-ish creatures, a Lay Claim...

My response after game one was "You want to do this? Let's do this." *Sideboards in a thousand jillion cyclers and Approach of the Second Sun*

Did you win? Or are you still in the middle of that match?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:16 pm 
Elder Dragon

BURN!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:06 pm 
Spamslayer Dragon

I won the next two games off Approach.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:26 pm 
Elder Dragon

Arix wrote:
I won the next two games off Approach.

luckily, it wasn't the mirror match

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:21 pm 
Elder Dragon

Third and final prerelease today. Went RG again, with a really mediocre set of creatures again, but this time with 6 great removal spells plus a combat trick, and a blue splash for Nissa, who won me 2 games.

Ended up going 3-1 after playing against my roommate, the luckiest mother fucker on planet earth. Not even kidding. He always goes undefeated at every prerelease because he's almost as good a player as I am and more importantly, he never ever loses a match to mana screw or mulligans. And every time I play him Lady Luck comes by with a sawed-off shotgun and blasts a hole through my chest. This time I kept a 2-land hand and managed to draw 8 nonland cards in a row off the top, which apparently has a less than 4% chance of happening. And this same shit happens literally every time I play him. It's infuriating.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:16 pm 
Grand Architect

I was literally just judging all weekend long.

I played one thg game despite how much I hate that format and pulled foil Gideon and invention soo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:26 pm 
Ancient Dragon

I didn't get to go to any prerelease stuff. It sucked........... :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:36 pm 
Elder Dragon

How do you guys feel about the limited format overall? I didn't have the time to do a prerelease this weekend (deadline weekend) but I'm currently trying to debate how many drafts I want to do next weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:47 pm 
Elder Dragon

Monuments seem REALLY good in limited. Waiting to see how they play out in draft tho.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:07 pm 
Elder Dragon

My initial thought is that it seems very bomb-heavy compared to recent limited formats, although that could have just been my games. Throughout my 12 rounds I played against Nissa, Glorybringer, Hazoret twice, Archfiend twice, Black God, Samut, and Liliana. And that's not including good rares I don't consider bombs like Gideon and Cat Army.

However, the bombs do seem more beatable than usual in this set as well. The only one that felt unbeatable was Liliana, and in fact the only ones I didn't beat throughout the weekend were Liliana and Nissa (I only played against Nissa in one game). The fact that Archfiend, Samut, and Glorybringer all die to Electrify, the usual white and black removal spells, and a fight from many of green's common creatures makes it more likely that you'll be able to deal with them instead of just dying.