Front Page Facebook Discord Channel New to Discord? Click here!
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:33 am 
Ancient Dragon

In order to eliminate clutter in the TSOA submission thread, please post all discussion concerning the Tavern of Souls Olympics of Awesomeness here. If you have an idea for an Olympic Event, please post it here. If you would like to judge an event, please sign up here. If you have any questions / comments / suggestions, please post them here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:02 am 
Ancient Dragon

The inaugural event of the Tavern of Souls Olympics of Awesomeness has officially begun!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:20 am 
Ancient Dragon

Hopefully these go better than the Rio Olympics.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:31 pm 
Hatchling

Entry for this month's Olympics was spontaneously sparked by a discussion with Nightwalker wherein he was complaining about how disappointed he was in Liliana, the Last Hope and I was responding as sarcastically as possible. I reserve the right to change my entry before the deadline if I think of something actually good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:34 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Doc wrote:
Entry for this month's Olympics was spontaneously sparked by a discussion with Nightwalker wherein he was complaining about how disappointed he was in Liliana, the Last Hope and I was responding as sarcastically as possible. I reserve the right to change my entry before the deadline if I think of something actually good.

Uh, why is this Eldritch Moon spoiler not in caps lock?

Doc... I... you... I can't believe you. I trusted you, man. I TRUSTED YOU!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:45 pm 
Hatchling

Epoa wrote:
Doc wrote:

Uh, why is this Eldritch Moon spoiler not in caps lock?

Doc... I... you... I can't believe you. I trusted you, man. I TRUSTED YOU!

That wasn't spoiler discussion. That was a discussion about spoiler discussion, just as this is a discussion about a discussion about a spoiler discussion.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:03 pm 
Ancient Dragon

...that response needs to be stickied somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:28 am 
Ancient Dragon

The inaugural event of the Tavern of Souls Olympics of Awesomeness will close at the end of the day today.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:31 am 
Ancient Dragon

lhopitalified wrote:
Disclaimer: I'm recusing myself because I'm helping Mal out with prizes.

My entry would have looked something like: Pick a format staple and make a punny version.
e.g. Cavern of Souls -> Tavern of Souls
Land
{T}: Add {C} to your mana pool.
{4}, {T}, Exile a creature card from your Graveyard: Put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
{3}, {T}, Sacrifice a Spirit: Search your library for a card named Ashnod's Coupon and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

I hereby officially un-recuse you. The judges are the only ones who can't post an entry (and I don't see anything wrong with providing prizes to yourself).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:09 pm 
Adult Dragon

Mal wrote:
I hereby officially un-recuse you. The judges are the only ones who can't post an entry (and I don't see anything wrong with providing prizes to yourself).

There's an obvious COI in judges participating - but there's also the possibility that someone might perceive coercion when a sponsor might receive prizes, so I prefer to be recused. (I think this is fairly standard and why radio giveaways specify that employees and their family can't participate.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:08 pm 
Ancient Dragon

If that's the way you feel, I ask that you post your would-be submissions in the discussion thread instead of the main thread (as I have done--and will undoubtedly continue to do--from time to time).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:32 pm 
Adult Dragon

Done!

[formerly in the main thread]
My entry would have looked something like: Pick a format staple and make a punny version.
e.g. Cavern of Souls -> Tavern of Souls
Land
{T}: Add {C} to your mana pool.
{4}, {T}, Exile a creature card from your Graveyard: Put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
{3}, {T}, Sacrifice a Spirit: Search your library for a card named Ashnod's Coupon and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:31 am 
Ancient Dragon

The inaugural event of the Tavern of Souls Olympics of Awesomeness is officially closed. It is now time for the judges to do their thing.

The_Admaster and HeraldBFC, once you have made your decision, please leave a post in the main thread naming your winner and describing why his or her submission was your favorite. Please do so by the end of the day on Sunday, July 31.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:34 am 
Ancient Dragon

Probably be done in the next two days. Thanks all for your participation.

Prinny Bringer of the Spampocalypse
[+] Click to Show Spoiler

Two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:32 am 
Ancient Dragon

Mal wrote:
Those of you who are familiar with the previous incarnation of the Olympics of Awesomeness are no doubt aware of the highly scientific methods I often use to choose a winner. For the inaugural event of the Tavern of Souls Olympics of Awesomeness, I have created what I believe to be my most technologically advance judgment tool to date. Behold, my Divining Rod of Awesomeness!

*I pull from my belly pouch a long wooden stick with the words “Divining Rod of Awesomeness” written across it in big red letters. A thick coil of uninsulated wire is wrapped around one end of the stick. A single strand of the wire runs down the stick to a small lead-acid battery mounted on its other end. The device, as a whole, resembles an electromagnet designed for a third grade science fair.*

Using this spectacular new tool, I should be able to divine which submission is the most awesome with more ease and more accuracy than ever before. Once I activate it, it will be drawn automatically to the most awesome thing present like a heat seeking missile. Allow me to demonstrate.

*I flip a small switch next to the lead-acid battery and the coil of wire on the end of the stick begins to hum and spark erratically. The device immediately flies—dragging me along with it—toward IronHead. The coil strikes IronHead’s metallic head with a clank and sticks there. For a few moments, I struggle in vain to pull the device free from IronHead’s cranium. Then I flip the small switch and the Divining Rod of Awesomeness falls free. Panting, I turn to address the participants.*

There you have it! Using this highly sophisticated piece of equipment (which may or may not actually be a powerful electromagnet with a fancy name), I have demonstrated—beyond dispute—that IronHead’s submission is the most awesome. Congratulations IronHead!

This is why I love you.

Also, you only want the winner? *burns paragraphs of analysis*

Prinny Bringer of the Spampocalypse
[+] Click to Show Spoiler

Two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:40 am 
Ancient Dragon

*I pull a fire extinguisher form my belly pouch and begin spraying The_Admaster's analysis with flame-retardant foam.*

There's no rule against posting analysis for each entry. The method you use to pick a winner (and how much of that analysis you post) is entirely up to you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:03 am 
Ancient Dragon

Is it time to start sharpening my judge poking stick?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:37 pm 
Adult Dragon

IronHead and Zer0, please pm me your addresses for prize packs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:10 pm 
Ancient Dragon

As a side note if we ever really use mine as a theme I SO wanna judge it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:57 pm 
Ancient Dragon

Please join me in congratulating this month’s winners, IronHead (who received two points) and ZerO_GatewaY (who received one point).

I want to thank everyone who participated in this month's event--including the contestants, the judges, and lhopitalified (who has graciously volunteered to provide prizes for the winners). You are all awesome in my opinion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next