Front Page Facebook Discord Channel New to Discord? Click here!
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:47 pm 
Elder Dragon

(Yes I'm aware that this was in the leak)

2BB
Enchantment - Saga (m)
(As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after III.)
I: Put a +1/+1 counter on up to one target creature. That creature becomes an artifact in addition to its other types.
II: Destroy all nonartifact creatures.
III: Exile all cards from all opponents' graveyards.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:20 pm 
Grand Architect

I'm not sure how I feel about that format

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:10 pm 
Elder Dragon

Moxen wrote:
I'm not sure how I feel about that format

I get what they're going for, but my god, I think it looks ugly as balls.

I think they were trying to look for a cool, special frame with some half-full artwork. But my god, ich.

"The best and worst part of being a goblin is that you never have to wonder what people think about you. They are more than willing to let you know at every conceivable opportunity." - Skizzdret, The Guildless

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:46 pm 
Elder Dragon

I am normally down with most of Wizards weird card frame changes, but these look stupid. There's no reason it needs to be laid out vertically like this, and on this card in particular the pale gold on the side bit looks absolutely terrible with the rest of the card's color palette. They could have just made the art box on a normal card a little shorter and used a modified version of the level up text box and it would have looked much better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:50 pm 
Spamslayer Dragon

I kinda hate the verticality of it. It also doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It seems the whole point of these sagas, both in the word "saga" and how they mechanically work, is the progression of a story. Landscape-style art would make much more sense for that. You can't really tell progression from this vertical art.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:44 am 
Elder Dragon

Isn't it a bit odd play wise as well? It was my understanding from the leak that these add a counter every upkeep (or when other stuff happens, of course). It seems like the temptation with this is to use a single counter and move it up/down as counters go on off, which... isn't a great representation of how these work.

"The best and worst part of being a goblin is that you never have to wonder what people think about you. They are more than willing to let you know at every conceivable opportunity." - Skizzdret, The Guildless

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:28 am 
Hatchling

Hate the card frame
hate the art
Don't like the mechanic.
25% text space needed for reminder text is so ugly, not to mention somewhat misleading as the effect takes place at the beginning of your precombat main phase.
I don't like how these cards feel. Like it's pretending to have the versatility of a planeswalker while actually just being stiff and slow, especially in a standard world with naturalize. 4 mana, let my best creature get fragmentized, lose my enchantment sounds like a blowout to me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:43 am 
Spamslayer Dragon

Byxfluzba wrote:
Like it's pretending to have the versatility of a planeswalker while actually just being stiff and slow

Blogatog wrote:
niv-mozart asked: It feels like the sagas are the original planeswalker design from future sight. Were they inspired by or derived from that idea?

They were directly stolen from the original planeswalker design.
Sauce

In other words, they took an idea they didn't like 11 years ago and used it straight up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:04 am 
Ancient Dragon

I like this frame. I like the scroll look and the flavor. I like the depiction of past events and I think it’s beautiful.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:05 pm 
Elder Dragon

Epoa wrote:
I like this frame. I like the scroll look and the flavor. I like the depiction of past events and I think it’s beautiful.

the final grade is still incompleat though

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:00 am 
Hatchling

Is there a good reason for this to activate in draw step instead of upkeep?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:11 am 
Elder Dragon

it actually triggers in precombat main

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:51 am 
Elder Dragon

And has literally the most idiotic reminder text of all time. I mean I get that "at the beginning of your precombat main phase" takes up a lot of space, and "at the beginning of your upkeep" slightly limits your design space and is still longer than what they went with, but this shortcut they came up with is stupid and will confuse literally everyone forever. They needed to just pick one of the reasonable options.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:32 pm 
Hatchling

Golgari_Spy wrote:
it actually triggers in precombat main

I misread. I'm less worried, though. It still doesn't make much sense to me, as space seems like a poor argument, if that's what they went with.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:21 am 
Ancient Dragon

So, if my precombat main phase has been skipped for whatever reason, this triggers during combat?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:05 am 
Elder Dragon

My guess is no, but there's no way to be sure until the comp rules update is released and we get to see the actual text for the ability.