Front Page Facebook Discord Channel New to Discord? Click here!
It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:59 am 
Offline
Young Dragon
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 10:41 pm
Posts: 152
Location: Wales, UK
I''d actually disagree with Initiative, the effect is very unusual, dual colour dual-anthems are unusual as well (other than that, the Lieges, and Wolfblood, I can't think of any), and the card is actually very pushed, just didn't feel like it in the format. That seems mythic as hell.

_________________
Image
Modern: Rogues -- EDH: Eron the Gambler
Other Games -- ESL: Goblins/Pilfer Monk -- Eternal: Party Yetis


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:40 am 
Offline
Ancient Dragon
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:33 am
Posts: 820
Arix wrote:
You can, but I decided to just count original printings. Like I said, it was a big list, so I had to be picky with what qualifications I used.

Lotus Cobra is there because it uses the set's main mechanic in order to perform the most basic function in the game, that doesn't seem mythic to me at all.

Lotus Cobra I see as mythic for a few reasons. For one, the ability is actually quite powerful. It’s ramp that can get out of hand easily. Two, it references two iconic cards: Birds of Paradise for the ability and flavor and Black Lotus/Lotus effects in the name and theme. Three, it’s subtlety. For an ability that is the most basic in the game using the set’s core mechanic, it reminds the player of the sheer power of ramp, especially if a player has multiple land drops in a turn.

I see where you’re coming from, and for a lot of cards that utilize a set’s main mechanic but are mythic, I would agree. But not the cobra.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:17 am 
Offline
Hatchling

Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:49 am
Posts: 73
Arix wrote:
Golgari_Spy wrote:
Arix wrote:
There have been many since the BS Angel that are even less deserving of mythic rarity, to be honest.

we need a list for signature spellbook: unworthy mythic rares

Well, it was tough. I had to be really picky to slice it down to eight. Buuut...
[+] Click to Show Spoiler
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage


I always went easy on Mythics that represented or referred to big characters of the story. Isn't that on the list of criteria? Because Heart of Kiran always felt VERY mythic to me. And mechanic-wise, it's a vehicle that can be crewed by planeswalkers. Seems flavorful and is undoubtedly powerful. Why do you say it's not mythic worthy?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:24 am 
Offline
Spamslayer Dragon
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 8:44 pm
Posts: 708
Kal Duskryn wrote:
I''d actually disagree with Initiative, the effect is very unusual, dual colour dual-anthems are unusual as well (other than that, the Lieges, and Wolfblood, I can't think of any), and the card is actually very pushed, just didn't feel like it in the format. That seems mythic as hell.
Mass pump effects are regularly seen on uncommons, and is Ghostway really that unique or mythic?

Epoa wrote:
Arix wrote:
You can, but I decided to just count original printings. Like I said, it was a big list, so I had to be picky with what qualifications I used.

Lotus Cobra is there because it uses the set's main mechanic in order to perform the most basic function in the game, that doesn't seem mythic to me at all.

Lotus Cobra I see as mythic for a few reasons. For one, the ability is actually quite powerful. It’s ramp that can get out of hand easily. Two, it references two iconic cards: Birds of Paradise for the ability and flavor and Black Lotus/Lotus effects in the name and theme. Three, it’s subtlety. For an ability that is the most basic in the game using the set’s core mechanic, it reminds the player of the sheer power of ramp, especially if a player has multiple land drops in a turn.

I see where you’re coming from, and for a lot of cards that utilize a set’s main mechanic but are mythic, I would agree. But not the cobra.
Yes, the ability is powerful. That is not a qualification for mythic status. And the only thing it has in common with either of those cards is that it makes mana. That's like saying Divination references Ancestral Recall because they both draw cards (and in fact, Divination has a bigger connection to Recal than Cobra does to either of the cards you mentioned).

Johny_Cid wrote:
I always went easy on Mythics that represented or referred to big characters of the story. Isn't that on the list of criteria? Because Heart of Kiran always felt VERY mythic to me. And mechanic-wise, it's a vehicle that can be crewed by planeswalkers. Seems flavorful and is undoubtedly powerful. Why do you say it's not mythic worthy?
Representing big characters or moments only counts if the mechanics line up such that it feels like the character/moment that it's representing. Just naming it after such things isn't sufficient. Change the name of that card and no one would make the connection - it's just a French vanilla thing with a slightly unusual cost.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:35 am 
Offline
Elder Dragon
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:46 pm
Posts: 1207
Arix wrote:
Yes, the ability is powerful. That is not a qualification for mythic status.

this has basically been contradicted repeatedly (some cards are put at mythic because they are ridiculously good in limited)

anyways, the purpose of a mythic is to sell the set, nothing more, nothing less, and lotus cobra easily qualifies (carnage tyrant and furyborn hellkite could do it for the newer players)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:47 am 
Offline
Elder Dragon
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 10:27 pm
Posts: 1367
Well since we're all disagreeing with Arix about something, can I pile on with twin on Rowdy Crew <<<< Carnage Tyrant.

I get that he's boring, but at least he's motherfucking useful.

_________________
"The best and worst part of being a goblin is that you never have to wonder what people think about you. They are more than willing to let you know at every conceivable opportunity." - Skizzdret, The Guildless


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:57 am 
Offline
Spamslayer Dragon
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 8:44 pm
Posts: 708
Don't get me wrong, Rowdy Crew definitely does not deserve to be mythic. But it at least has a somewhat weird and unique ability that could potentially make for fun moments. It's a weak argument, yes, but when you put it up against literal French Vanilla, I'm going to give the spot to literal French Vanilla.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:16 pm 
Offline
Elder Dragon
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:45 pm
Posts: 1223
Wizards design process:

"Hey, you know how Karador is one of the most broken "fair" commanders we've ever printed?"

"Yeah."

"I wanna make an even more broken version."

"Sure, sounds reasonable."

"And I wanna make it blue for no reason."

"Why not?"


Attachments:
muldrothathegravetide1.jpg
muldrothathegravetide1.jpg [ 38.28 KiB | Viewed 911 times ]

_________________
Image
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:19 pm 
Offline
Elder Dragon
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:45 pm
Posts: 1223
Keep in mind, this is not me bitching about a card I lost to a bunch. I was the one who played Karador, and it won literally every single game. It's fucking broken, and I don't know why they keep printing new versions of it. (Meren, now this.)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:21 pm 
Offline
Elder Dragon
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:45 pm
Posts: 1223
In other news, I really wish this card was something I could like, because the art is absolutely incredible.


Attachments:
adelizthecinderwind1.jpg
adelizthecinderwind1.jpg [ 50.62 KiB | Viewed 909 times ]

_________________
Image
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:42 pm 
Offline
Elder Dragon
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:46 pm
Posts: 1207
you can like it if you want to


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:54 pm 
Offline
Elder Dragon
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:45 pm
Posts: 1223
It's blue. And it has the word Wizard on it. I really don't think I can.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:19 pm 
Offline
Elder Dragon
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:46 pm
Posts: 1207
Twinblaze wrote:
It's blue. And it has the word Wizard on it. I really don't think I can.

so you're saying it's a wizard

of the coast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:56 am 
Offline
Elder Dragon
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 10:27 pm
Posts: 1367
That GW legendary angel that gives everything hexproof is deceptively good, I think.

Also the UG legendary that has landfall "gain a life and draw a card" too.

_________________
"The best and worst part of being a goblin is that you never have to wonder what people think about you. They are more than willing to let you know at every conceivable opportunity." - Skizzdret, The Guildless


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:47 am 
Offline
Spamslayer Dragon
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 8:44 pm
Posts: 708
Arsonist wrote:
That GW legendary angel that gives everything hexproof is deceptively good, I think.

I don't know if a four mana 3/4 flier with significant upside can be called "deceptively" good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:50 am 
Offline
Elder Dragon
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 10:27 pm
Posts: 1367
I primarily play casual commander. It's hard for me to get hard at anything under 5 lines of text.

_________________
"The best and worst part of being a goblin is that you never have to wonder what people think about you. They are more than willing to let you know at every conceivable opportunity." - Skizzdret, The Guildless


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:53 pm 
Offline
Elder Dragon
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:45 pm
Posts: 1223
Wizards just refuses to stop the dumb red mythic train. Apparently if you take Broodmate Dragon, make it worse, and take out the two colors that never should have been there in the first place, that card is a mythic now. For some reason. Literally just two dudes with flying and it's a mythic.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:23 pm 
Offline
Elder Dragon
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:46 pm
Posts: 1207
stop making spoiler bingo so easy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:27 pm 
Offline
Spamslayer Dragon
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 8:44 pm
Posts: 708
Twinblaze wrote:
Wizards just refuses to stop the dumb red mythic train. Apparently if you take Broodmate Dragon, make it worse, and take out the two colors that never should have been there in the first place, that card is a mythic now. For some reason. Literally just two dudes with flying and it's a mythic.

Given that this set has things like "5/5 that's actually a 20/20" and "Bounce everything and leave behind an 8/8" at uncommon, I have no idea what the rarities are in this set.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:02 am 
Offline
Elder Dragon
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 10:27 pm
Posts: 1367
Image

Image

I demand the catsuit back. Age is just a number baby.

Also

Image

Do I need to describe my erection or can you guys picture it?

_________________
"The best and worst part of being a goblin is that you never have to wonder what people think about you. They are more than willing to let you know at every conceivable opportunity." - Skizzdret, The Guildless


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group