Front Page Facebook Discord Channel New to Discord? Click here!
It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: dominaria leak
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:59 am 
Young Dragon

I''d actually disagree with Initiative, the effect is very unusual, dual colour dual-anthems are unusual as well (other than that, the Lieges, and Wolfblood, I can't think of any), and the card is actually very pushed, just didn't feel like it in the format. That seems mythic as hell.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:40 am 
Ancient Dragon

Arix wrote:
You can, but I decided to just count original printings. Like I said, it was a big list, so I had to be picky with what qualifications I used.

Lotus Cobra is there because it uses the set's main mechanic in order to perform the most basic function in the game, that doesn't seem mythic to me at all.

Lotus Cobra I see as mythic for a few reasons. For one, the ability is actually quite powerful. It’s ramp that can get out of hand easily. Two, it references two iconic cards: Birds of Paradise for the ability and flavor and Black Lotus/Lotus effects in the name and theme. Three, it’s subtlety. For an ability that is the most basic in the game using the set’s core mechanic, it reminds the player of the sheer power of ramp, especially if a player has multiple land drops in a turn.

I see where you’re coming from, and for a lot of cards that utilize a set’s main mechanic but are mythic, I would agree. But not the cobra.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:17 am 
Hatchling

Arix wrote:
Golgari_Spy wrote:
Arix wrote:
There have been many since the BS Angel that are even less deserving of mythic rarity, to be honest.

we need a list for signature spellbook: unworthy mythic rares

Well, it was tough. I had to be really picky to slice it down to eight. Buuut...
[+] Click to Show Spoiler
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

I always went easy on Mythics that represented or referred to big characters of the story. Isn't that on the list of criteria? Because Heart of Kiran always felt VERY mythic to me. And mechanic-wise, it's a vehicle that can be crewed by planeswalkers. Seems flavorful and is undoubtedly powerful. Why do you say it's not mythic worthy?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:24 am 
Spamslayer Dragon

Kal Duskryn wrote:
I''d actually disagree with Initiative, the effect is very unusual, dual colour dual-anthems are unusual as well (other than that, the Lieges, and Wolfblood, I can't think of any), and the card is actually very pushed, just didn't feel like it in the format. That seems mythic as hell.
Mass pump effects are regularly seen on uncommons, and is Ghostway really that unique or mythic?

Epoa wrote:
Arix wrote:
You can, but I decided to just count original printings. Like I said, it was a big list, so I had to be picky with what qualifications I used.

Lotus Cobra is there because it uses the set's main mechanic in order to perform the most basic function in the game, that doesn't seem mythic to me at all.

Lotus Cobra I see as mythic for a few reasons. For one, the ability is actually quite powerful. It’s ramp that can get out of hand easily. Two, it references two iconic cards: Birds of Paradise for the ability and flavor and Black Lotus/Lotus effects in the name and theme. Three, it’s subtlety. For an ability that is the most basic in the game using the set’s core mechanic, it reminds the player of the sheer power of ramp, especially if a player has multiple land drops in a turn.

I see where you’re coming from, and for a lot of cards that utilize a set’s main mechanic but are mythic, I would agree. But not the cobra.
Yes, the ability is powerful. That is not a qualification for mythic status. And the only thing it has in common with either of those cards is that it makes mana. That's like saying Divination references Ancestral Recall because they both draw cards (and in fact, Divination has a bigger connection to Recal than Cobra does to either of the cards you mentioned).

Johny_Cid wrote:
I always went easy on Mythics that represented or referred to big characters of the story. Isn't that on the list of criteria? Because Heart of Kiran always felt VERY mythic to me. And mechanic-wise, it's a vehicle that can be crewed by planeswalkers. Seems flavorful and is undoubtedly powerful. Why do you say it's not mythic worthy?
Representing big characters or moments only counts if the mechanics line up such that it feels like the character/moment that it's representing. Just naming it after such things isn't sufficient. Change the name of that card and no one would make the connection - it's just a French vanilla thing with a slightly unusual cost.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:35 am 
Elder Dragon

Arix wrote:
Yes, the ability is powerful. That is not a qualification for mythic status.

this has basically been contradicted repeatedly (some cards are put at mythic because they are ridiculously good in limited)

anyways, the purpose of a mythic is to sell the set, nothing more, nothing less, and lotus cobra easily qualifies (carnage tyrant and furyborn hellkite could do it for the newer players)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:47 am 
Elder Dragon

Well since we're all disagreeing with Arix about something, can I pile on with twin on Rowdy Crew <<<< Carnage Tyrant.

I get that he's boring, but at least he's motherfucking useful.

"The best and worst part of being a goblin is that you never have to wonder what people think about you. They are more than willing to let you know at every conceivable opportunity." - Skizzdret, The Guildless

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:57 am 
Spamslayer Dragon

Don't get me wrong, Rowdy Crew definitely does not deserve to be mythic. But it at least has a somewhat weird and unique ability that could potentially make for fun moments. It's a weak argument, yes, but when you put it up against literal French Vanilla, I'm going to give the spot to literal French Vanilla.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:16 pm 
Elder Dragon

Wizards design process:

"Hey, you know how Karador is one of the most broken "fair" commanders we've ever printed?"

"Yeah."

"I wanna make an even more broken version."

"Sure, sounds reasonable."

"And I wanna make it blue for no reason."

"Why not?"

Attachments:
muldrothathegravetide1.jpg
muldrothathegravetide1.jpg [ 38.28 KiB | Viewed 911 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:19 pm 
Elder Dragon

Keep in mind, this is not me bitching about a card I lost to a bunch. I was the one who played Karador, and it won literally every single game. It's fucking broken, and I don't know why they keep printing new versions of it. (Meren, now this.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:21 pm 
Elder Dragon

In other news, I really wish this card was something I could like, because the art is absolutely incredible.

Attachments:
adelizthecinderwind1.jpg
adelizthecinderwind1.jpg [ 50.62 KiB | Viewed 909 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:42 pm 
Elder Dragon

you can like it if you want to

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:54 pm 
Elder Dragon

It's blue. And it has the word Wizard on it. I really don't think I can.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:19 pm 
Elder Dragon

Twinblaze wrote:
It's blue. And it has the word Wizard on it. I really don't think I can.

so you're saying it's a wizard

of the coast

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:56 am 
Elder Dragon

That GW legendary angel that gives everything hexproof is deceptively good, I think.

Also the UG legendary that has landfall "gain a life and draw a card" too.

"The best and worst part of being a goblin is that you never have to wonder what people think about you. They are more than willing to let you know at every conceivable opportunity." - Skizzdret, The Guildless

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:47 am 
Spamslayer Dragon

Arsonist wrote:
That GW legendary angel that gives everything hexproof is deceptively good, I think.

I don't know if a four mana 3/4 flier with significant upside can be called "deceptively" good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:50 am 
Elder Dragon

I primarily play casual commander. It's hard for me to get hard at anything under 5 lines of text.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:53 pm 
Elder Dragon

Wizards just refuses to stop the dumb red mythic train. Apparently if you take Broodmate Dragon, make it worse, and take out the two colors that never should have been there in the first place, that card is a mythic now. For some reason. Literally just two dudes with flying and it's a mythic.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:23 pm 
Elder Dragon

stop making spoiler bingo so easy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:27 pm 
Spamslayer Dragon

Twinblaze wrote:
Wizards just refuses to stop the dumb red mythic train. Apparently if you take Broodmate Dragon, make it worse, and take out the two colors that never should have been there in the first place, that card is a mythic now. For some reason. Literally just two dudes with flying and it's a mythic.

Given that this set has things like "5/5 that's actually a 20/20" and "Bounce everything and leave behind an 8/8" at uncommon, I have no idea what the rarities are in this set.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:02 am 
Elder Dragon

I demand the catsuit back. Age is just a number baby.

Also

Do I need to describe my erection or can you guys picture it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next